20. Chinese and Charades.

'Make sure your home early tonight. I need to tell you something-important.'

'Sure. I'm on my way. I'm just picking up some Chinese.' I said pretending to sound calm. Panic evaded inside me. Those words cannot be good. What was he talking about? Had I done something wrong. Oh God, was there something wrong? Immediately all the worst possible scenarios came to mind. Death, burglary, murder, separation, divorce. And I almost groaned at the thought. Looking around the little take-away with the people staring at me,  I think I had. I smiled at everyone, and quickly looked at my phone. If Zaid was making big deal out of nothing, I was going to kill him. But hew sounded so serious.  Like always I was overthinking and I put a pause on my thoughts.

It was a Friday evening and the week had been so energy-consuming especially as I had to run around, collecting all the coursework from the students. I couldn't be bothered to go home. So it was Chinese tonight. I loved it. It was just different but delicious. No snails or any of that sort. But it was the different sauces that added that extra taste to it.  Luckily Zaid shared my taste. If Zaid and I ever went out, we avoided Indian places since I basically cooked it at home all the time.

 I unlocked the door and went in, the worry that I had been blocking rushed back to me.

'Asalamualaikum.' I said as I entered the house. I went into the kitchen and put the food down.

'Asalamualikum.' Zaid entered, fresh from a shower. I could smell the beautiful shower gel he uses. I replied as he came and kissed me on the forehead.

'So what's going on?'

'Can we eat first? I'm starving.' With great reluctance I nodded. In his own time. Clearly, it was something big, but he was acting so calm.

'Sure, I'll just go and wash up and change into something more comfortable.' But he was already lost in the food.

I rubbed my chopsticks together and watched him tucking into the food greedily. In public, he ate like a civilised human,  with proper table manners. But when it was just us, all the mannerisms just went out the window. I guess, I liked that because it meant he felt comfortable with me. I trusted him and Alahmdulillah besides our little bickering here and there, we were happy and comfortable with each other. However, I couldn't shake of the question: How long? But another part of me reassured me that he was better than ever and will Inshallah (God willing) remain so.

'This is really good.' He said delightfully. I took a sip of the Rubicon Guava flavoured drink.

'Glad you like it. I thought we'd try something different.' 

'What sauce is it?'

'Something called Mongolian Barbeque. Is it any good?

'Any good? Its brilliant. Have a try.'  Zaid held out his fork, with some noodles swirled on it. He avoided the chopsticks since he just couldn't get a grip of them.  After a moments thought I bent over and took the bite. It was surprising really good.

'See it is good? What'd you get?'

 'Thai green curry.' I took a huge gulp of mine and stuffed it onto his mouth.

'Hmm, my ones better, but yours is good too.' I smiled. Here we were feeding each other, normally and he wanted to tell me something important. Anyhow, I was not going to push him into telling me.   After all it might be our last dinner together, but it didn't feel so. Was he just warming up to tell me? Inshallah (God willing) not! How would I bear it without...Stop. I cleared my though. Talk about something normal.

'How was gym?'

'Good.'

'Do you still go for two hours?'