chapter 7: more than this

Yulia could pass as a normal sixteen year old.

Lena thought as she watched the other girl attempt to play a game on her phone, only to scream profanities a moment later.

"How on earth did you end up here? Working like this? I mean you don't seem like...."

Lena let her voice trail off, though Yulia just sighed.

"I got kicked out of the house at thirteen...or more or less ran away. I met up with Anya who was eighteen at the time and she took me to Ivan who kind of adopted me. I didn't get proper training until I was almost fourteen which was like six months and a bad accident later."

Yulia answered with a shrug before adding

"Most of us don't even work here all the time. Anya is a security guard for a local collage and I work down at the pet store slash animal shelter down in town. Anya, Pari and I just happen to live here at base."

"So this hospital is connected to the guild as you and Anya both call it?"

Lena asked, earning a nod.

"Technically this is a government building. After all we are more or less agents of a secret police. But on the outside....This place looks like an office of some form. It's only when you get to the main bottom levels where things get interesting."

Yulia stated, as if it was nothing before adding, as if to change the subject

"You're getting out of Med bay tomorrow. Think you'd feel well enough to meet Pari and Ivan properly? I promise, neither will hurt you....Pari however does dress like a rainbow barfed on them so you might wanna wear sunglasses. Being around them is like walking through a time machine to the 80's."

"