The Job

Alfred didn't sleep well last night. In fact he wasn't sure if he did catch a wink of sleep at all, considering he remained awake until four in the morning and the next thing he knew his Superman digital clock was ringing at 5:30. He didn't sip a drop of the Prescotts' beer and whiskey, but he felt like crap when he went downstairs.

As he made his way to the dining room-slash-kitchen, he bent down to rub the back of Popcorn's ear. Popcorn was their loyal Golden Retriever of nine years. He wasn't as active as he used to be, but they loved him all the same.

"Morning, honey. Take a seat, I made your favorite." His mom, without even turning away from the fridge, pointed at his plate of bacon and eggs.

"Morning, mom. Dad." Alfred greeted.

His father put down his coffee mug, "Hey, slugger"

"What did I say about using that pet name?" Mrs. Jones swung her hips, closing the fridge door, before bringing the orange juice to the table.

"I didn't hear you come in last night, how was the party?"

"You didn't hear him because you fell asleep on the couch after three cans of beer. He came home late, at 11:30, and he smelled like you."

"Hey!" Father and son turned to her at the same time.

Lorelei rolled her eyes, "Whatever, just finish up your eggs, both of you. Steve, I'll drive you to the shop on my way to work."

"Yes, ma'am."

*

Ethan reeked of alcohol, and Alfred wondered if he even bothered to take a shower last night or this morning.

"You look like shit, man" Ethan was referring to the dark circles around Alfred's eyes.

"Yeah, well, you smell like it" He retorted.

Ethan yawned and leaned on his chair.

As the rest of their classmates filed in, Alfred rubbed the back of his nape as he thought deeply. He then called, "Ethan"

Ethan merely groaned in response.

"Do you. . ." He wanted to ask for a guest list, but then laughed at his own idea. As long as you weren't the cops or a burglar, you were free to enter the Prescott estate when Ethan's left responsible.

"Never mind."

Ethan shrugged, but quickly sat up when the teacher stepped in.

Alfred couldn't focus on today's lecture, his mind was on a completely different topic. He wondered if the girl from before would blackmail him, or just out him as revenge (which he could understand considering Ethan essentially called her fat), but that seems like a horrible thing to do regardless.

"What?" Alfred shot his eyes up to meet Miss Montgomery's. The entire classroom erupted with giggles and chuckles.

"You look distracted, Mr. Jones. Is everything all right?" Alfred liked his English teacher, he respected her greatly; she was nice to everyone and clearly loved what she did. Moreover, she never went out of her way to humiliate any of her students.

"I'm fine, Miss Montgomery, just. . .tired."

"I was expecting to hear the word 'hung-over', but all right. How was the game yesterday?"

"You didn't watch it, Miss?" Tori answered instead.

She shrugged, "Call me a hippie but I hate football"