Chapter 9: The Principals Office

(POV) (Headmaster) Washington:

Smiling triumphantly, Eliza Schuyler sits before me.  I'm not impressed.
"Eliza," I say sharply, "this is serious. Wipe that smirk off your face!"
To my surprise she bursts into tears.
"Tell me what happened." I say, changing my tone as I stare down at her. She seems so sad. Too sad.
"M-Madison is d-dead!" She cries, before burying her face in her hands.
"I know." I say bluntly. Why would she care? They weren't even friends as far as I knew.
"W-we were f-friends..." she says, "we would get s-spice lattes and sit in Starbucks, ch-chatting!"
"I'm so sorry Eliza." Shit, here's me being all blunt while this girl pours her heart out to me. Double shit.
"He was one of my only, sensible, non-dramatic f-friends!" She says, her eyes brimming over with tears. "That b-bitch was saying how f-funny it was that h-he was dead! It was h-horrible!"
Then, with that, she ran away, crying and crying.
Damn, I need to find a new approach.

I wait for five minutes before trying to find her.
I search the empty corridors wondering if she's left, gone to class or is camping out in the girls bathrooms.

As I walk through the foyer, I hear a haunting voice coming from the fountains and I stop in shock.
The singer hits every note with ease, a heartfelt song of love and friendship and calmness. A song I've never heard before, maybe an original? As I walk in I realise: It's Eliza.

I sit on a bench and stay there, marvelling at how easy she seems to be finding it.

She dances around, crying and spinning - and of course singing.

As she hits the last note I stand up and, after it rings in the air for a second, I applaud.

She spins round glaring at me before grabbing her purse and storming out.

"Eliza, I need to talk to you -" I begin but she cuts me off mid-sentence.
"Well I have no business talking to you Mr Washington. Good day!" And with that she leaves, and I go back to my office.

What a day.