Chapter 13: Vengence

(POV) Hercules:

My hands shake as I open the diary. I read through it, looking through the accusations Madison made about Jefferson. I note every time Jefferson hit him, in my old notebook.
Bruised ribs, broken jaw, Brocken collarbone, fractured wrists, black eyes, broken tailbone... the list seemed to be endless.
Even the 'rules' Jefferson issued were ridiculous.
No talking to others.
No other friendships.
No other relationships.
Take his secrets to my grave...
All of them written in the cover of the book.
Accounts of how he wanted to be friends with us. I remember turning him away multiple times, never letting him join us. My cheeks burn from the memories.
Today Hercules hurt himself in PE and I offered him a band aid. He pushed me away, screwed up the band aid and spat at me. I wish we were friends. Thomas would never hurt me again.
I remember that day and fell torn. How could I? Poor defenceless Madison.
I push the diary away, feeling ill. Tears roll down my cheeks as I dash to the bathroom but before I can get in there, Lafayette is in front of me, coaxing me, helping me breathe, patting my back, kissing me on the cheek. He cleans me up then he sits with me and we read the diary through not once, but twice.
We both cry, both times, and although it was an emotional rollercoaster, we finally have a piece of evidence: Jefferson killed two of his siblings; Jane and Elizabeth Jefferson... fuck. He told nobody but Madison that, and of course Madison would have been too scared to tell anyone that. Apart from his diary.
As Lafayette makes us both strong cups of coffee, I still can't believe it. How? Why? What? When?
I open my laptop, and type their names in:
Jane Jefferson. Found strangled to death on the bathroom floor. Culprit never found. And similarly, Elizabeth Jefferson. Found stabbed on the ground and decapitated. Culprit never found.
Shit.
I stare at the bright computer screen, suddenly terrified. How? What? When?
When Lafayette comes back, I show him the pictures, and he gasps.

(POV) Lafayette:

Still shaking, I hand Hercules his coffee and sit down.
"He was never caught?" I ask, an edge to my voice.
"Nope." He replies.
"Who knows how far he'd go?" Says Hercules. Then he gasps, "Oh." He stands up and runs his fingers through his curly hair. "What if he killed Alexander?"
I gasp and stand up before we both shout, "WE HAVE TO TELL JOHN!"
I run round, and pound on his door, shouting through the letter box, "OPEN UP JOHN, MON AMI!"
Then I remember the spare key under the turtle statue. I grab it and carefully turn it, just as Laurens swings open the door. He's dressed in his aqua green fluffy dressing gown, his kawaii turtle slippers, and his hair a fluffy mess.
"Come on!" I shout, and I grab his arm before pulling the door closed behind me and dashing back next door to ours.
"Hercules, explain. John, sit the fuck down and listen. We need more coffee, I'll go grab some mon ami!" I rush, before dashing off.

(POV) John:

I stare at Hercules as he (a little over dramatically), explains how they think Jefferson killed Alexander.
"And," he adds, "he has so many reasons. They were known deadly enemies for Christ's sake!"
I sit still, not noticing the tears welling up in my eyes, until Mulligan hands me a crumpled tissue, and I give him a half smile, as I furiously wipe my eyes.
"I bet you he got angry at him for something stupid, then BANG!" Says Hercules, miming shooting someone.
I nod, still wiping tears. I feel Lafayette enter, before setting down the three drinks he's just got, and wrapping me in a hug. He smells of cinnamon, freshly baked bread and strawberries. I smile.
"Thank you guys." I whisper.
"So..." Says Hercules cautiously, "What do we do about it?"
"I say we let John choose," Lafayette softly tells him.
"Duh."

(TIME SKIP - The Next Day in the Corridor:)

"Hey Jefferson!" Hercules laughs, grinning.
"Oh hey." Says Jefferson coolly. "Don't try anything funny... you'll regret it losers."
He looks behind him, for Madison's support, but is only greeted by Burr, frowning at something interesting on his phone. I bet you a million dollars that he secretly misses him. Even if he only misses his backup.
Hercules sniggers, leaving Jefferson confused.
"What's so funny dorks?" He asks.
"Nothing!" Giggles Hercules, before roaring with laughter.
"What? What is it?"
"Shall we put it out of it's misery?" I ask.
Lafayette cheers in agreement.
"Well, come with us then Jefferson!" Beckons Hercules, still giggling merrily.

(Behind the Bike Sheds:)

As we get to the common 'smoking spot', when people see Jefferson, they all leave.
"Being king has it's advantages." He says, unable to stop himself from gloating.
We all laugh.
"So... what's this about jack-asses?" He frowns.
"Well, we did our research recently!" I say.
"And we found out..." says Lafayette.
"About your sisters. Jane and Elizabeth?" Finishes Hercules, triumphantly. "Strangled and decapitated? Very stylish!"
Jefferson goes paper white.
"H-How do y-you... W-Who told you?" He says, staring at us wide eyed.
"Like I said, we did our research Jefferson." I say.
Then I do something I would never normally do - I push Jefferson over into the shed and he falls dropping all his papers. I laugh and the others copy me.
"Good on you mon ami!" Says Lafayette, clapping me on the back.
Jefferson frantically picks up his papers, flustered, he keeps dropping them again and again. When he finally stands up he's still shaking and white.
"P-Please, p-lease d-don't tell anyone!" He pleads.
We look at each other, then back to the helpless man in front of us.
"We'll think about it." Says Hercules, "And while we decide, stay out of our way!"
Then we strut off, triumphant at last.