The Ritual

After my grandmother died, my family performed this ritual (as per tradition). Essentially, you create a shrine for the deceased. For the first seven days following the death, at 7:00 P.M., you remain silent for one hour to allow the spirit of the deceased to return and say their goodbyes. During the last day, a glass vase which was right next to the shrine fell and shattered while we were sitting silently in the adjacent room. We were all a little on edge, especially since the vase had been there for years, seemed secure, and all the windows were closed.

At any rate, after the silent hour had passed we called my aunt who was doing the same ritual at her house. She said that the strangest thing had happened–they were all upstairs in the same room during the silent hour when one the doors downstairs had slammed shut. They checked and the house was closed up (no windows open, exterior doors locked) and they couldn't figure out what had happened. Also, when they went downstairs all of the doors–except the locked front and garage doors–were still open. They'd had the house for over a decade and nothing like that had happened before.

I'm not saying something supernatural happened that night, but it sure was a creepy coincidence