Prologue Part 2

I got home and walked upstairs into my room. Naturally, I slung my bag off my shoulder towards the wall and plopped on the bed with my hands behind my head just lost in thought as usual.

"Med school huh?", I thought to myself.

I figured that if I became a doctor, it would be one of the best ways I could possibly help someone in need. Think about it, I would have control over life and death. And that's what has always fascinated me about the medical field because now we can cure all sorts of illnesses and diseases that would otherwise negatively affect the lives of millions. It's amazing really, maybe it could've saved mom all those years ago.

I began to dose off when I heard a loud thump on my door and was soon after greeted by my father holding a beer in his right hand, drunk as usual.

"Hey..son...how was your last day?" He stumbled over his words as he feigned care and fatherly love. 

I just told him it was okay, just like every day. It was clear that he didn't really care and just shuffled away back downstairs, probably to sink into his recliner and watch the game.

I have decided that I would move into a college dorm so I began to pack up what little belongings I had. At this point, anything is better than having to babysit my dad every day. As I packed up my belongings, I spotted something on my dresser. It was an old heart-shaped locket that my mother used to wear.

On one half was a picture of me as a smiling young boy, the other was of my dear late mother. My only memento to remember her by.

I put the locket around my neck and drifted off to sleep at last.