Prologue Part 4

I sat in the waiting room and stared at the wall absent mindedly. After what seemed almost like an eternity, the doctor called me into the room to see my father in his pitiful state. 

The doctor looked down at the tile floor and said as gently as he could. "I'm so sorry Mr. Driscoll, we tried everything, but it was too late to save him."

He left the room to allow me some time with my now deceased father and said the phrase "sorry for your loss" as he walked out the door. 

Oddly enough, I didn't feel sad like I did when mom died. I didn't feel anything for that matter. If anything, I was fascinated by the sight. It amazes me how human life can whither away and disappear almost instantly.

Regardless of whether my fascination is good or bad, I slowly walked to the side of the bed and pulled the covers over my dad's eyes before leaving that room with my head down and never looked back.

Not that long after I returned home, I was informed that I will be inheriting the house since I am now legally an adult and had to decide on how to hold my father's funeral and what to do with his remains. I decided to have him cremated and his ashes put into an alluminium urn. As for the funeral, we didn't have one because now I have no more family.

Not much of anything happened after that until it was time for me to leave home for med school. It's hard to believe that I will be gone for like, what 8 years at least?

As I was about to exit through the front door, something possessed me to stop for a second. And maybe out of mouring or respect, I sat dad's urn on his favourite recliner in front of the tv and placed a bottle of beer right next to it. It's what he would've wanted and even though alcohol ultimately lead to his death, it still made him happy when he was alive. And maybe deep down he really cared about me.

I finally walked out that door with my suitcase and took one last look at the house before walking down to the bus stop that would take me to college. I sat down on one of the green leathery seats and sighed.

Life starts now.

END OF PROLOGUE