Chapter 26

Hard goodbyes

It was a beautiful clear afternoon without a cloud in the sky. The sun shone brightly in direct contrast to the mood of the people gathered in the cemetery. Emma thought the weather was a little disrespectful for the funeral taking place. It had been three days since everyone had been discharged from the hospital and had returned home. Now they were all assembled together again to say goodbye to friends.

Earlier they had gathered to see the monument that had been erected on the docks for Hook and Mila. Their bodies remained in the water, something Emma was sure that a sailor like Killian Jones would be grateful for. She was a widow now, she supposed. Their marriage had been a mistake, but Emma was glad that at least for a while Killian had been reunited with his one true love. It was bittersweet knowing that Hook and Mila had spent so much of their lives apart and enjoyed just a short time together. Emma had squeezed Regina's hand at that thought and Regina seemed to know what Emma was thinking at that moment. They wouldn't end up that way, the two of them would spend many years of happiness together, Emma would make sure of it.

Later Regina needed to lean on Emma as the two caskets for The Queen and Robin Hood were lowered into the ground. They had been two people who technically had no right to exist. One had been created by a serum and the other by a wish, but the love they shared was real and burned bright even if only for a brief time. Emma wondered why Regina still survived when The Queen had died because Hyde had died along with Jekyll. She chalked it up to what Regina had said about the rules of magic being tossed out the window. Whatever the reason, Emma was overjoyed that Regina was still alive, but that made her feel a little guilty as she looked at the two caskets. Although she knew that her guilt was nothing compared to what Regina felt. Their very existence came about because of Regina, and now she felt that she was responsible for their deaths. Emma knew that it would take a long time to heal from this, but Emma would be there for her.

Presently they all stood over the grave of the former Dark One, Mr.Gold, Rumpelstiltskin. Sometime ally, most often an adversary, mentor and teacher, manipulator and traitor, coward and villain, and lastly courageous hero. He had been all those things to so many of those gathered at his grave.

His life had been mostly a tragic one, some tragedies were visited on him by fate but most were of his own making, his fear and cowardice had cost him a wife and his lust for power had cost him a son. But the love of a woman had changed him and given him another son, Belle's love and belief in his own goodness had redeemed the beast.

Emma glanced at Belle and marvelled at how well she was holding up. Belle was holding Gideon tightly to her, but her face was a mask that held no emotion. It was only her eyes that betrayed her as the tears ran freely from them and dropped to the grass underfoot. Regina was feeling conflicted over Rumplestiltskin's death, if she was honest with herself, he had probably been the most influential person of her entire adult life. She had learned magic from the man, been manipulated into casting the Dark Curse by him, and he had helped set her on the path to become The Evil Queen. But he had also given her Henry, and indirectly brought Emma Swan into her life. If she weighed it all together she could forgive the manipulations because of the love she had gained because of his interference in her life. She owed him, and she would give him justice.

As the funerals ended the mourners began to disperse. Belle made a beeline to Emma and Regina, surprising the sheriff, she had kept a respectable distance to Belle figuring that she wanted to be alone with her grief.

"How are you Belle?" Regina asked with concern in her voice. 

"Fine." was what she said but Emma saw the librarian's lip quiver. "I need to talk to the two of you tomorrow. It's very urgent."