The Calm Before

ARC-170
R-8 POV

"Kriff, I've got vultures on my tail!" The clone pilot shouted as he barely evaded several shots from the two droid fighters behind him.

"I can't help you 'eight' I've got my own problems." The pilot closest to him was busy taking on a vulture droid as he was avoiding shots from another one closing in behind him.

The fighting was fierce, the Invisible hand was throwing everything it had at the two already damaged Republic cruisers, fighters clashed as the ship's exchanged lasers. Shields for both sides were failing, but something unexpected happened.

As the fighting ensued, the planet seemed to open part of itself up slightly, then a huge ray of orange energy swooped through, vultures and ARC's started to malfunction and the systems on the ship's started to fail.

Both sides were in chaos, trying to figure out what caused it.

"Kriff!" A voice finally cracked through the interference. "What the hell was that?"

Suddenly, the planet seemed to open up even more, the gravity seemed to suck the ship's towards it fast.

"All fighters back to the ship's! The planet's gravity is pulling us in, you'll be dead out there." The Admiral ordered.

Acknowledging with a nod, R-8 flew towards the ship, even though his systems were still not functioning properly. But suddenly, another ray of energy swooped through, and the ship's started to fall in faster. His fighter couldn't push forward much, as everything was either shutting down or over exerting power. But he had to try.

And as he pressed on, chunks of debris shattered off a now destroyed Venator and flew towards the hole in the planet.

Without anyway to move, his fighter shook as parts flew towards him, he was desperate to move, making him overheat himself, and in a few moments, he no longer felt anything.

UNSC Forward Unto Dawn

"Kriff! Signal's been cut by that weird scan!" Cody cursed again as he tried to get the commlink on his wrist to work.

"Get to the shuttles!"Obi Wan yelled as the ship suddenly shook violently.

The orange beam started to shrink into a single beam, and focused on the MasterChief, the intensity of the scan forced his shields to flicker. Then the ship started to be sucked in faster.

Outside, the shields of both the Venators and the Invisible Hand quickly failed and started to follow the Dawn's forced path into the planet.

The strain tire parts from the already damaged frigate, including the hangar bay the Republic had entered.

"Chief, escape pods." Cortana quickly stated.

"Right." Chief gestured the group to follow him. "This way."

They didn't have to argue, even if they wanted to, and all tried to keep up with the super soldier.

They ran fast out of the room, running past dead droid's and avoiding collapsing pieces of the wall. A piece of the ceiling started to fall, but was quickly caught by MasterChief, and Obi Wan used the force to keep another piece from falling on them.

After a couple minutes, they reached the pods, right as the ship started to fall apart even more.

"Get in, press the lever above to release as we get closer, it's your only chance." MasterChief said as he made sure all the clones made it before sealing the door.

"How are you going to make it? These are too small for you!" Obi Wan protested.

"I'll survive, it would be good to-" The wall began to tear apart from that stress, and Chief quickly pressed the sealed hatch over Obi Wan.

"Go, now!" Cortana yelled through the comms, and the Republic warriors complied quickly.

The pods quickly dropped out of the ship, right as the planet's surface was in view.

"And how are we supposed to make it safely?" Cortana asked sarcastically.

"You know I've survived higher falls." Chief replied, and quickly jumped out the opening in the wall.

Chief could practically feel the wind, even through his armor. Pushing past the flying part of the ship, he knew what little options he had. Broken debris and storage bounced off him as he descended.

Chief quickly landed on a large chunk of the wall, but slammed too hard and too fast into it, as he got drowsy, he then succumbed to a temporary state of darkness.

Requiem,
Forerunner Sensor Station Alpha

For many, being alone was the worse kind of torture.

Even to an AI advanced as herself, created by the most advanced beings in the universe, besides the Precursors of course. The Forerunners were responsible for absolutely everything in the known universe, holding the mantle. And even after their self-destruction from the Halo array, their work continued flawlessly for longer than any civilization could.

Designated as zero-two-two, Midnight Wanderer, she wasn't quite like her  fellow monitors, whom were mostly designated to the HALO array and the Ark, instead she was positioned here. A planet containing a monstrous shell of a forerunner.

Her job was to keep said being trapped here. Which wasn't very difficult, given the cryptum. In fact the tasks here could only last her a few thousand years before she started feeling a sort of emptiness around her.

What was it they called it? Oh yes, 'bored'. I do believe that's what I am now.

But every once in a while, a primitive ship of unknown designation would swoop in either using slipspace or some other means of fast travel. Time and time again she was disappointed that they didn't match the signature of the reclaimers. She felt as if they should have made it by now.

Except that one ship, that one primitive vessel containing possible signatures, drifting in space until I placed it into my collection for further study.

Her thoughts were soon cut off by a sensor beacon, which meant a ship or some other object was near the planets orbit.

On a terminal, it showed now multiple ships had come here from a less efficient means of travel, but they did seem to be decently advanced.

She fired off an energy scan, and she was able to get full read outs of all four ships present. Her readings displayed that most of the ships were firing upon each other and smaller craft were also involved.

One was like a ship she found years ago, yet the others were different. She scanned all of them again with a higher intensity, and she found something remarkable.

Reclaimer.

A true reclaimer of the mantle had arrived. If she could smile it would be wider than the planet itself.

Welcome to Requiem, reclaimer.