The note

Nolan goes back to his room to change into dry clothes. He still can't quite believe what happened. As the morning wore on, Nolan became hopeful that witnessing the ghost-hallucination-girl was an isolated incident. He certainly didn't expect her to appear in the hotel swimming pool, of all places.

Nolan can't shake the ridiculous thought that he's been cheated somehow. When he saw the figure at the bottom of the pool, Nolan admits he had thoughts of heroism. He might just save someone. If he saves a life, it will be a heroic act. He will be a hero.

He is conflicted about these thoughts. It disturbs him that he would think this way. He doesn't really want to be a hero because heroes require notoriety. That is not something he wants. Not really. He wants to blend in. He wants to disappear.

Nolan enters his room, closes the door and leans against it. He shakes with cold and frustration.

He composes himself. The manager still has a long list for Nolan to complete today. He takes off his wet chlorinated clothes and trades them for a dry outfit. His shoes he can do less about; they're his only pair. He rings them out into the bathtub, but they are still water-logged. There is nothing to be done. He'll have to wear them anyway. Nolan sighs and walks over to his bed.

A piece of paper rests on Nolan's pillow. He didn't put it there. Nolan stares at it for a long time before finally picking it up. It's a sheet of the hotel's complimentary stationary, but for some reason, it's thinner and far more fragile than the usual stock. If he isn't careful with it, he's afraid it will disintegrate under his touch.

Nolan reads the note and thinks the best thing to do will be to crumple it up, which will no doubt destroy it completely. But he doesn't. He rereads the note three more times. Then, delicately, he folds it in half and in half again and slides it into his back pocket.