ch. 1

The café had been a buzz all evening with customers and I felt myself longing to call it a night. This was my third eight hour shift of the week and my busiest. I looked over at my co-worker Nick who was busy preparing orders.

"Two large soy lattes, table eight." He mumbled restlessly, handing me the tray.

I jogged to table eight, setting down the lattes to an older couple with a dry smile and returning back to the counter.

"Turkey breast sandwich and a small coffee, table four."

"Please tell me that this is my last one for the night." I let out in a yawn.

Nick spun around to face me, scanning my lifeless expression.

"Lucky for you, I'll push these last few orders out and close up tonight, but you owe me."

Thanking him graciously, I headed to my final table. As I set the small coffee and sandwich down to the man, he made small talk.

"You look thrilled to be here." He remarked sarcastically.

"What can I say?" I said, giving him a fake smile.

"How about you take a seat."

I almost declined but remembered that Nick was covering the remainder of my shift. When I sat, I met eyes with the stranger.

"Kayla," He said, inspecting my name badge, "nice to meet you Kayla."

"I'm Stone." He smiled, reaching across the table to shake my hand.

"Nice to meet you Stone."

"I imagine that working at a place like this, you never have an opportunity for fun."

"Shifts here are lengthy and I rarely have a day off. The most fun I get is when I'm at home sleeping."

My comment made him laugh.

"I have something for you." He said as he started to chow down on his sandwich.

"And what might that be?"

"Are you working tomorrow night?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No. I'm off the clock."

"Well," Stone said taking sips from his coffee.

He reached in his pocket, sliding a concert ticket over to me. I held it in my hands. "You should come out to my band's show tomorrow night."

"But you barely even know me." I said as I set the ticket down.

"I'd like to get to."

"Look it was nice meeting you, but I've got to get going." I said dismissively, standing up to push in my chair.

I untied my apron, slinging it on my shoulder and saying my goodbye to Nick for the night.

"Wait," Stone called behind me. "At least let me take you home."

I agreed, and after he discarded his finished meal in the trash, he led me out to his car. Once we set off and I gave him my address, the ride was silent. I fiddled with the concert ticket in my pocket, reconsidering. There was no reason why I shouldn't go. This nice man was giving me a ride home and it wouldn't kill me to repay the favor by attending his band's concert.

Stone glanced over at me as he pulled into my drive, "Here's your stop."

"Thank you, Stone."

"No problem. I hope to see you at the show tomorrow."

"You will."