ch. 5

Ever since the night at the restaurant, things were amazing with Stone. We soaked up every bit of each other's company and it seemed as if my life had started back up on the right foot this time. He usually spent most nights at my place when I wasn't at work and occasionally we'd catch up at his. Things at the café were tense between Nick and I. He would always appear with a stiff upper lip and although it was much needed, neither of us bothered to settle our differences. He still wasn't accepting of my relationship with Stone and I had not a clue that could pinpoint me to why.

Today was Monday, an off day of mine, and it was spent in my home alone because Stone and the guys of Pearl Jam were set for studio time the majority of the week.

I was settled down in the comfort of my bed when my MTV marathon was disrupted by the trilling of my phone. My mind swirled at the possibility of it being Stone calling to inform me that his studio time had been rescheduled. I sprung from my bed to answer it. 

"Hello?" I spoke quietly.
"Hey Kayla, it's Nick."

My hopes vanished and they were replaced by the gut feeling that this telephone call with Nick wouldn't end well. My immediate instinct was to hang up, but I'd already greeted him and it was too late for that. 

I cleared my throat and ridded any hesitation out of my voice before I continued. 

"Hey Nick. What's up?"

 There was fumbling on the other line, Nick starting up a sentence and cutting himself off. This happened twice more before he finally responded. 

"I was wondering if we could meet up. There's something I have to tell you." The anxiousness was present in his tone. 

I chewed the inside of my lip and twisted the telephone chord around in my fingertips. I folded my arms across my chest, "No, of course. Where should I meet you?"

"Discovery Park." He replied, a peak of hopefulness in his voice.

"I'll be there."

The drive to Discovery Park was short, it being a couple blocks down the road from my house. Once I was there, I parked and searched for Nick. Shortly after, I found him sitting on a nearby bench, slouched back, staring at the blank sky.

"Hey." I approached him.

"Hey Kayla." He half-smiled, patting the spot next to him. I sat.

Silence brewed between the two of us for a brief moment and after brutal moments of trying to figure out what to say, I slouched back as well, looking to him to kick start this conversation.

"How are you and... Stone?" The discomfort in his voice was boldly evident as he spoke my lover's name.

"We're great," I nodded with a smile. "what makes you ask?"

Nick's gaze flickered from me and then back to his twiddling thumbs. I tilted my head to meet his bold green eyes accompanied by damp long lashes. Had he been...crying? 

He shook his head and inhaled a breath, wafting his hand through his golden hair before saying "I like you Kayla."

Every muscle in my body tensed and I pursed my lips into a flat line, searching for the right response, but truth was I was fresh out of them. Nick observed me intently, and I lowered my head, trying to figure up anything to say. 

"Yeah, I know." Nick huffed after the brief period of awkward silence rolled past. He lowered his head and mumbled to himself again, refusing to make eye contact with me.