Chapter 14

"I almost didn't recognize you since you dyed your hair."

"Yeah, everyone says that." I laughed nervously. 

"So where've you been? I haven't seen you around in a while. Word on the Rez is that you've been running with vampires." Tate leaned against a clothing rack, muscles bulging out of his black t-shirt with a smirk on his face.

"Well you know, I've kinda been everywhere. But what about you? It's been a long time since we've...talked." I quickly tried to revert the conversation back to him in hopes of avoiding any questions about the Volturi.

"Oh, I've been here and there, but you, princess, you're what I'm curious about." He came a little closer to me and I could feel my heart speed up.

"I'd love to stay and talk but my friend and I were on our way out." I tried to go around him and back towards Alice but he stepped in front of me, blocking my escape.

"Then we can talk more tonight at the bonfire, Paul invited me. See ya there, princess." He winked at me before moving out of my way.

I quickly looked around for Alice before finding her outside of the store instead of in it. "Why didn't you come save me?!" I asked her once we were far enough.

"He's cute."

"I'm married!" I looked at the small vampire in disbelief.

"Oh...right..."

"Oh Alice." I sighed and looked down at my hands the entire way home. He was coming to the bonfire...the same one that Alec will be at. Sam had insisted that he join us since he was officially a part of the family now. But why out of all people did Paul choose to invite him. Oh right, he doesn't know. This is going to be torture. "Alice...what's going to happen at the bonfire?" I asked cautiously, wanting to know before it happens.

"It all ends the same, Kenzi. There's nothing that you can do." Was her answer, leaving me disappointed. "It'll be okay in the end, don't worry." She placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a small smile.

"I hope so." I sighed as we pulled up to my house. My sadness was quickly replaced with happiness as soon as I saw my husband and kids. The pack was playing with them and they were treating Alec like family, which made me even happier.

"Goodbye, Kenzi. I'll see you later and don't you dare take those darling twins back to Volterra without saying goodbye!" I laughed at Alice and gave her a hug before exiting the car with all of my shopping bags.

When I walked inside, I saw Ness sitting with Emily talking about who knows what. As soon as they sensed my presence, they turned and included me in the conversation.

"Kenzi, you're back! Did my aunt Alice break you?" Nessie asked.

"A million times over." I chuckled, "let me go put these in my room and then I'll join you two."

I threw the bags in the corner of the room, along with the other ones that Rose had brought earlier before kicking off my shoes and walking back into the living room.

"So, Jake finally brought you to one of these things." I told her as I threw myself onto the couch.

"Yeah, he said it was 'necessary.' Honestly, I'm just here for Emily's cooking." Ness replied with a small laugh.

"Aren't we all?"

"Well I'm glad that you both like my cooking. You're brothers grilling the burgers tonight, cookies are my treat." Emily joined in.

"Burgers?! Yes!" I exclaimed, nearly falling off of the couch. "Have you had them? They're amazing! Em makes them but my brother cooks them." I asked Nessie.