Chapter 18

"Another one!" Violet chanted as she looked up at me with her bright green eyes. Cole had long since fallen asleep but Violet still wanted to listen to more stories.

"Okay, but after this you have to go to bed, okay?"

"Okay, Mommy." I then proceeded to read her another story and I watched as her eyes slowly began to close as sleep soon took over.

"Goodnight, baby." I gave her a kiss on the forehead before closing the book and getting up from the bed.

"Does this mean that I have you all to myself now?" A pair of cold arms wrapped themselves around my waist as I felt a soft kiss on my neck.

"Maybe...but not in here." I smirked as I turned around to face Alec. Oh Alec. I couldn't help but want to melt in his arms and give myself to him, just like every other time.

"I have an idea of where we could go." His sexy smirk spread across his face as he picked me up and vampire sped out of the room.

We quickly arrived somewhere else, except we weren't in a room. In fact, we weren't even in the castle anymore, we were somewhere else entirely. We stood in front of a black iron gate with lanterns on either side of it, illuminating the entrance. Alec had walked ahead of me and opened the gates which led to a large open courtyard with a tall lit up fountain in the middle surrounded by white roses. Behind the fountain were a series of large arches that stretched the length of the house and past them was a vintage looking door. There were large flower pots on both sides of the door, small fairy lights lined the entire front entrance, and there was a balcony that overlooked the fountain on the second story. The house was painted white and made of a smooth brick-like material with a classic look to it.

Alec held out his hand which I took and followed him inside to where I was met with a large open foyer with marble floors and a crystal chandelier hanging high above a small round marble table holding a large vase with roses in it. On either sides of the table there were marble staircases which spiraled up unto the second level which overlooked the foyer. Alec led me up one of the staircases and off to the left to where there were many doors. We stopped in front of one at the very end which he opened to reveal a large bedroom, probably the size of my house back in La Push. There was a California king bed in the middle of the room covered with a canopy. The farthest wall from the door was made entirely of windows and led out to a balcony that overlooked a garden.

"Surprise, love." Alec told me as he wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Is this..."

"All ours." I turned to him with a smile spread across my face.

"I can't believe you actually did this." My brown eyes gazed up into his ruby red orbs as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"I wanted to make you happy. I haven't been the best husband lately and this is the least that I could do to make up for it." I bit my lip as a smirk appeared on his face.

"Thank you." I placed my hands on his chest and ran a hand down the front of his suit jacket.

"Now, would you care to tell me what else I could do to gain your forgiveness?" A mischievous smirk appeared on his face as he looked down at me.

"I might have an idea." I wrapped a hand around his tie and pulled him towards the bed, knowing very well that this is what he had wanted all along.

***

A few hours and many naps later, Alec had finally tired me out completely. "Wow. I missed that." I told him as I laid my head in his chest exhausted.

"As did I. Maybe if you weren't so difficult..." I playfully punched his arm as he let out a deep chuckle.

"I'm sorry, I was just a little busy, you know, giving birth to your children." I stated casually before letting out a small laugh as Alec did the same.

He reached his hand over and pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear before gingerly running his thumb down my cheek. The pad of his thumb swiped over my lip before he looked back into my eyes. "Beautiful," was the only word he whispered before we laid there in silence, only the sound of my heartbeat echoing throughout the room.

After what seemed like hours, I broke the peaceful silence as my mind wandered to the twins. "What's going to happen when they get older?"

"They're immortal, you won't lose them, love." Alec reassured me but I couldn't bring myself to think of that as a good thing.

Would we just live forever with no end? Would they just have children that would be immortal as well? Would their children just grow up to have more children until we're just generations and generations of immortals? We would all look the same age, despite that I would be a grandma someday. I will outlive my brother, being as he's going to give everything up for Emily. Am I just going to watch the rest of my family slowly disappear until it's just my husband and our children left?

"What's on your mind, love?" Alec's voice brought me out of my thoughts and I couldn't bring myself to tell him.

"Nothing. Just thinking." I replied, moving closer to him, my head on his chest. He knew that I was lying but he didn't press. We just laid there in comfortable silence for what felt like the first time in a while. Except, there was no silencing my thoughts, which were eating me alive.