Chapter 11

Patrick didn't know what to do. Or even what to think. He wanted to stop fighting himself. He wanted Camille, that was obvious, even to himself. Anong bang silbi ng pagpipigil niya? It was obvious Camille wanted him as well.

But letting himself be happy with her will be against all he stood for. Camille was his father's choice for him. He didn't want to want what his father wants for him. Ayaw niya maging masaya kung magiging masaya ang tatay niya.

But not letting himself be happy with Camille, he realized, was futile as each day came. Masaya siya sa asawa. She was everything he wanted in a woman and in a wife. Pero ayaw niyang sabihin it okay Camille. The pain of the past, he realized, was better left in the past. At kung magpapakatotoo siya, nakamove on na siya sa pang-iiwan ni Camille sa kanya noon. Nursing the pain she caused when they were still teenagers seemed so juvenile now. Ang babata pa nila noon. Ano ba talagang alam niya noon.

The drive to their province was quiet. Camille didn't know what to say and Patrick didn't seem to want to talk to her. May isang oras pa silang biyahe. "Ano nga pala aasikasuhin mo sa bahay niyo?" biglang tanong ni Patrick. Di na siguro natiis ang katahimikan.

"Magpapasweldo lang ako sa mga tao. Nasa Australia si Dad, nagbabakasyon kina Tita ko," sagot ni Camille. "May kailangan rin daw akong pirmahan sabi ng abogado ni Daddy."

Silang dalawa may dalang mga damit, enough to stay three days. "Saan tayo magsestay?" why can't Patrick stop asking questions? Camille wondered.

"Sa bahay niyo na lang siguro. Wala naman kasing tao sa amin. I'm sure your father wants to see us." Tumango na lang si Patrick. Camille was curious what brought on Patrick's change of attitude. He wasn't as mad or as indifferent compared to this morning.

Bumalik ang katahimikan sa pagitan nilang dalawa. Pero ni isa sa kanila wala nang nagsalita. It was so damn awkward. It was around eight in the evening when they arrived. Masaya silang sinalubong ng kuya at tatay ni Patrick. "Oh, napabisita kayo," komento ng tatay ni Patrick after the pleasantries. Felix Alcantara had no illusions about his second and youngest child. Alam niyang sobra ang naging pagkukulang niya sa anak. But it was too late now to start having a decent parent-child relationship. Patrick was too angry at him and he understands that. Ang tanging magagawa niya na lang ngayon ay ibigay dito ang nararapat. Some of his properties and the woman he knew his son wanted when he was all but a child.

"Camille has some things to take care of tomorrow," Patrick answered coldly to his father. Napailing na lang si Jonathan while Camille was taken aback. She know bits and pieces of the story but not the full extent of Patrick's dislike towards his own father.

Tumango na lang ang father-in-law ni Camille. She could see that he wanted better than the cold answer from his son but she could also see that he wasn't expecting anything more. He looked resigned to the fact that his son didn't want anything to do with him.

"Oo nga pala Pa, Daddy sends you his regards. Baka matagalan pa siya bago makabalik. He's enjoying his vacation too much," sabi na lang ni Camille to divert everyone's attention. Pati kasi ang Kuya Jonathan nila nadadamay na sa tension between Patrick and their father.

"Pat, sa usual mong kwarto mo ba kayo matutulog?" tanong naman ni Jonathan. Tumango naman si Patrick at inabot ang bag nilang dalawa sa kasambahay na nakaabang sa di kalayuan.

Camille removed her hand from Patrick's arm. "I'll go get ready for bed, medyo pagod kasi ako," Camille said to excuse herself. Alam naman rin niya na may mga bagay na pag-uusapan ang tatlo.

Before she could go upstairs to follow the maid, hinila siya ni Patrick palapit dito at hinalikan sa sentido. Camille being shocked was an understatement. Was Patrick drunk again? "Good night," he whispered. There was no need to keep up appearances in front of his father and brother.

Camille greeted everyone a good night in a daze. Natawa naman si Jonathan. "Tol, pagpahingahin mo naman asawa mo," pang-aasar nito. "She didn't have eyebags before. Ano bang ginawa mo?"

Napailing na lang si Patrick. Ayaw niya nang patulan pang-aasar ng nakakatandang kapatid while in the presence of their father. He was comfortable and friendly with his brother. His father was an entirely different story.

Camille was still wide awake when Patrick entered the room. She was tired but she was far from being sleepy. Overthinking was what was tiring her.

                            Patrick smelled of brandy. Nag-inuman ba sila ng kapatid? "Ba't gising ka pa?" tanong nito. He didn't seem drunk but appearances can be very deceiving.

"I couldn't sleep. Lasing ka na naman ba?" tanong ni Camille. Umiling si Patrick and took off his clothes. He showered before travelling kaya di na to nagshower ulit. He changed into some boxers at tumabi kay Camille. This is the third time they shared a bed. The first time was at their honeymoon but they were too tired to notice. The second time was last night and Patrick wasn't exactly conscious of what they were doing. Ngayon mukhang nasa matinong pag-iisip naman to.

Camille was facing up, towards the ceiling when Patrick lay beside her. She didn't know whether to face towards him or away from him. "Camille?" he said.

Camille turned her head a little para maharap ito. "Yeah? May problema ba?" umiling si Patrick pero hinaplos ang mukha ng asawa. Inilapit ni Patrick ang mukha sa asawa at masuyong hinalikan. Camille responded to the kiss as if she was just waiting for it to happen.

But what ran to her mind was that Patrick must be drunk again. Wala ng ibang dahilan bakit hinahalikan siya ng asawa ngayon na walang halong galit. But she didn't care. She wanted him. And if this was all he could give her, she'd wait til he could give her more. At least he didn't hate her anymore. At least, finally, he was giving her something.

Author's Note:

Baka 15 to 20 chapters lang to. I honestly didn't think this story through. Nakikisabay lang siguro ako sa uso dati sa na arranged marriage nagrerevolve ang story. I don't really remember. Ang alam ko lang talaga yung simula at ending. Kaya natatagalan ako sa update like my other unfinished stories. Hope you don't hate me too much. LOL. Good night. Still gotta update my other story.