20 ➺ DEAL WITH THE (SHE)DEVIL

❝YOU'VE GOT HELL TO PAY, BUT YOU ALREADY SOLD YOUR SOUL

YOU'VE GOT HELL TO PAY, BUT
YOU ALREADY SOLD YOUR SOUL.

      THINGS WERE BETTER for Genevieve and Lucifer, as both individuals and a team of sorts — a couple, which was a word Ginny had played with in her mind. However, the Shedevil was not a simple woman, nor easy to handle, even if people often assumed that pleasing her could be a piece of cake if her wishes just were followed. And especially now, that she was allowing Lucifer and Dr. Martin to help her get more in touch with her feelings and discover the side that she had never let out of the darkness, she was even more complicated. Even when things seemed so simple, she was struggling, and even if happiness was handed to her and she held it right at her palm, she still tossed it away or squeezed too hard.

Which was why she and Lucifer weren't exactly the kind of lovey-dovey couple you could see in movies. Their relationship wasn't all roses and honey, but they had made progress, as the utter hatred and constant fighting had changed into love confessions and establishing some kind of trust between one another. Genevieve no longer tried to stab him in the back — or the front — whenever the opportunity arrived, and Lucifer was more shamelessly flirting with his wife and loyally protecting her, despite their shared knowledge of how capable she was of doing so herself. Still, it was obvious that something had changed between them, and surprisingly, for the better.

This was evident to Amenadiel, who was too disgusted to stick around any longer due to the two sipping wine on Lucifer's couch and constantly eyeing each other in a manner that was too much for the angel to handle.

"Right — your place or mine?", Lucifer joked when the tension in the air seemed to near a breaking point, but instead of earning a grin or a kiss from Genevieve, his words merely made her sigh as she turned away. She still didn't have a proper place to live in, not after Dan had kicked her out — even worse, replaced her with Charlotte. And it seemed Lucifer managed to realize this despite Ginny's unusual lack of words. "Wait, you don't even have a house to live in, do you?", his smile faded away whilst his eyebrows knitted together and his eyes radiated sympathy.

Chuckling, Genevieve shrugged. "Haven't found one yet, no", she admitted, but as the good husband he turned out to be, Lucifer was quickly offering to change that.

"Well, obviously you can stay here with me", he offered, "call it a favor", the familiar grin creeping back to his lips as he gently nudged his wife. The only thing was, Genevieve wholeheartedly disagreed with his sweet plan — it wasn't that she didn't want to share the penthouse with him, she just hated the thought of a favor. It made her feel like she needed pity, and she most definitely did not.

"We both know I'm not a fan of favors. Makes me feel small and weak, which I refuse to be", Genevieve lifted an eyebrow sassily as she pulled away from Lucifer, causing the man to exhale sadly at the loss of her body against his. But even if they were no longer inhaling each other, they were still seated next to one another and Genevieve was close enough for Lucifer to admire her shamelessly — it felt good to do so without having to hide the love in his eyes.