1. Swallow's Past

"Have you heard? It's such a pity..." A scholar removes his hat, placing it carefully on the wooden table.

A middle aged man wearing a white robe over a green Hanfu sits at the same table.

"What are you talking about, Xue Zi (student) Xin?" He questions, reaching for the plate of salted peanuts with a pair of wooden chopsticks. He pops a peanut into his mouth before downing the rice wine in one gulp.

"General Li's youngest daughter of course! The Li family received an imperial decree from the old Emperor this morning."

"And?"

"And he's arranged her marriage to the twelfth Prince." The young scholar looks around surreptitiously. What he was about to say was taboo. "You know, the cursed one!"

Yuan De raises an eyebrow, seemingly amused by his student's callous words.

The young man eagerly pours him another cup of wine. "As they say, Shi Er (twelve) sounds similar to Shiebushe (someone who is guilty of unpardonable evil)."

"Xin... you, of all people, should know that being the twelfth Prince does not make him wicked beyond redemption. There's plenty of people born on the twelfth hour, the twelfth day, the twelfth month, or even on the twelfth hour of the twelfth day of the twelfth month, and surely they're not all monsters. If they were, this capital would be overrun with criminals!"

Xin shakes his head. "There's no waves without wind, and no fire without smoke. The rumours originate from the imperial palace itself. This isn't the first decree to be handed down regarding the Prince's marriage. Did you hear that the previous young ladies who were betrothed to the Prince all died horrible deaths before the grand ceremony could be held?"

Yuan De laughs heartily, "My dear boy, you're studying to become a scholar, and yet you still believe in this nonsense?"

"It's true," Xin argues, "Even the Prince's mother, the favoured Jade Concubine died whilst giving birth to him. That's why the old Emperor doesn't take to him, though he's clearly the most impressive of all the Princes."

"That's quite enough," Yuan De stops Xin before he could go on, his expression serious. "If you say any more, you'll get yourself in trouble. Beware, should you continue to spread senseless rumours, that wagging tongue of yours will land you in prison. You should know that in this capital, even the walls have ears." He hands Xin a bamboo scroll tied with a thin piece of twine, sending him off hastily. "Write out thirty copies of this scripture before tomorrow's class. Now go on... and good night to you."

Xin stands up, grabbing his black scholar's hat before bowing to Yuan De. "Good night, Fu Zi (teacher) Yuan."

As Xin hurries off, a young man wearing a wide rimmed bamboo hat with a black veil covering his face sits down at the table opposite to Yuan De. They sit back to back, as though they were two complete strangers. The man finally breaks the silence.

"It seems your students know me better than I know myself."

Yuan De sighs, seeming weary.

"Everything is falling into place as you planned, Yi Xuan."

He brushes off the dust settling on his white robe and stands slowly, walking towards the west side of the pavilion that faces the lake. "So tell me, why would someone as busy as you pay a visit to an old man like me on this lonely winter's night?"

"Fu Zi, you're hardly old. There are members of the imperial advisory who are double your age and still giving the same ill advice they gave ten years ago."

Yuan De lets out a laugh, but the sound is hollow, bouncing along the surface of the lake and disappearing into the night.

Moonlight traces along the unforgiving line of Yi Xuan's jaw as he continues, "It's time you return to my aide, as promised."