4. Cassadre of Elan

There was a light knock at the door. "Huang Zi Fei (Princess)?"

Aya looks up, confused by the title before it registers that she was the Princess.

"...Come in." She concedes.

A girl of about sixteen years of age enters the room, carrying a wooden tray with a pair of indoor shoes and a red silk slip folded neatly upon it. She makes her way carefully towards Aya, her footsteps quiet as a mouse. Her long black hair is twirled up in buns on either side of her head and fastened in place by plain pins. A few silken strands frame her heart shaped face.

Stopping in front of Aya, she curtsies, explaining hastily, "The Prince has requested for me to assist you with changing this evening."

Aya looks down at her soiled wedding dress. The flowing sleeves and hem are dirty with grime. Her hair felt matted with sweat, and she was positive the makeup on her face was ruined.

All in all, she was in dire need of a bath.

"What's your name?" She asks the girl.

The girl's eyelashes tremble like butterfly wings.

"Cassadre," she murmurs, her gaze fixated on the ground.

"That's a pretty name," Aya smiles, "Though quite unusual around here."

"Thank you, Princess." Cassadre bows politely. "My father was from Elan. He was the one who chose my name."

"Elan?"

"Yes, to the North of here." Her eyes grow wistful, and Aya noticed that the colour of her irises were a beautiful ink blue, unlike the people of Han who typically had black brown eyes. Cassadre places the tray on a wooden stand before elaborating. "It's a country with azure skies and endless sand dunes. At night, the clouds and stars seem so close that you feel like you can reach out and grab them."

"It sounds beautiful," Aya agrees sincerely.

"It is," Cassadre replies, lowering her lashes again. "That's how I got my name. It means the brightest star in the sky."

Aya slips her feet into the shoes, careful to not loosen the bandages. "How long has it been since you've left home?"

"Five years." Cassadre helps Aya towards the bathing area that was concealed behind a large screen.

Aya takes a seat on the stool next to the wooden bathtub. Cassadre proceeds to remove the intricate gold pins from her hair one by one before taking away the delicate headpiece. She motions for Aya to tilt her head back, pouring a ladle of steaming warm water onto her scalp.

"It's been five years since the war with Han forced our people into slavery."

Gazing up at the girl, Aya is puzzled. "Then why do you continue to serve here?"

While her movements are fast, Cassadre's voice is level. "Prince Yi Xuan was the one who pulled me from the battlefield." She hesitates, her mouth set. "Elanians always repay their debts."

Aya closes her eyes, letting the light floral scent from the water wash over her. Cassadre rubs soap onto her hair, the foam causing bubbles to rise. Once she is done cleaning Aya's hair, she rubs a warm wet towel over her arms.

Small fingers start pulling at the front of her dress. Aya's eyes snap open. "What are you doing?" She gasps, her mouth agape.

"Actually, I'm undoing your dress," Cassadre replies matter-of-factly, moving forward to pull at her dress again.

"S-stop right there!" Aya screams, folding her arms protectively over her chest.

Cassadre tilts her head, confused.