2. A New Identity

"I don't want to marry the twelfth Prince!" Li Aya throws a piece of expensive pottery against the wooden door of her room where it smashes into smithereens. "Not only is he cursed, he's also rumoured to have an incurable illness! Do you want me to marry into a situation where my marriage bed will become my deathbed?"

Aya's mother dabs at the corner of her eyes with a handkerchief.

General Li lets out a long sigh. "Aya, we can't go against the will of the Emperor; it would bring ill fate upon the whole Li clan. And as much as your mother and I don't want you to leave us, what is written on the imperial decree is set in stone."

"But Father!" Aya stomps her foot angrily. "You must know the only reason why the Emperor wants me to marry his son is because he's growing wary of the military power you wield. A marriage bond would give him the perfect opportunity to take away your tiger seal."

Aya's nanny returns with a broom, swiftly sweeping away the broken shards of porcelain. The room is oddly quiet. She hesitates before speaking. "My Lady, I have some words that I'm unsure of whether or not to speak..."

"Please," Aya's mother gestures for the nanny to step forward. "Speak freely."

"I think that perhaps... you can get someone to take Aya's place."

Everyone jumps as General Li slams his fist down on the tea table.

"Ridiculous! If the Emperor found out we tricked him, it would be punishable by death and affect the entire clan."

Aya's mother looks long and hard at the nanny, who now had her head bowed so low that she could see the swirls on the top of her head. She then looks towards her daughter, who was still pouting unhappily. Finally, she turns to her husband. General Li's forehead was furrowed so deeply that the lines formed a triangle. She pats the back of his hand comfortingly, and speaks in a soft, soothing tone.

"My dear, I think the nanny has a point. Think about it... as a young noblewoman, no one has seen Aya's bare face before. After all, she isn't allowed to step out into the open until she's thirteen. So, if we get another girl to replace her and start showing and telling the whole world that that girl is our daughter, who's to say that she isn't?"

General Li ponders over this thought, his fist unclenching. Aya takes this chance to kneel down beside him, resting her chin on his knee much like the way she did when she was a little girl.

"Please Father, I don't want to die, or become a young widow."

The General's face softens as he looks at his precious daughter.

"It would have to be someone we can trust completely."

He lets out a resigned sigh. "I'll bide more time with the Emperor. After all, Aya isn't even of age yet."

On the other side of the city, Yuan De lets out a couple of loud sneezes. That was strange, as it was quite warm in the room.

Swallow runs to him, balancing a set of freshly brewed tea.

"Old man, I brought you some tea!" Granted, the tea was from his prized tea cake and she was only responsible for the boil.

"Oh? What's the special occasion?"

"To thank you of course!"

"Really?" Yuan De raises an eyebrow. "But I seem to remember that whenever you happen to bring me something, you always want something in return."

"What?" Swallow exaggerates her astonishment at his words, her eyes wide and doe like. "You're placing your own narrow views on me!"

"Hmmph!"