5. Patience

Unaware of the twist of fate soon to befall upon her brother, Swallow, or rather, Li Aya, continues practising archery under Cassadre's watchful eye. Finally came the day that she graduated to using a specially designed, slim bow favoured by noblewomen. Though it was not dense like the proper bows used in the army, at least it was a real bow.

Cassadre and Pin observe her fondly from the sidelines, their expressions akin to parents watching a newborn take her first steps.

Her first arrow fell a few feet away from the target. She was sure that she would hit bullseye on her second try, but an unexpected shift in wind strength causes the arrow to whizz past the targets altogether.

Suddenly, a shrill scream resounds through the court. From where they were standing, they could see a senior Eunuch rushing to help a lady dressed in heavy skirts back to her feet. Once the lady was standing again, the Eunuch spins around dramatically, stomping over to them.

His painted face is tinged red with anger.

"Who shot this arrow?!" He demands in a high pitched, nasal tone.

Cassadre and Pin both rush forward in front of Aya, replying in unison. "It was me."

Cassa glares angrily at Pin. If eyes could shoot daggers, Pin would probably be dead by now. Pin looks back at her sheepishly.

Eunuch Bai purses his lips. "A mere servant dares lie to my face?"

He lifts his hand, serving a swift slap to Cassadre's face. The stinging force of the slap causes her head to turn to one side, angry red marks appearing on her milky skin.

"Do you know who I am?" the Eunuch asks, his nose lifted so high that he may as well have had his head in the clouds.

Suddenly, there was another loud, resounding slap. Eunuch Bai falls to the ground, clutching his cheek dramatically.

Aya dusts the white powder from her uplifted hand casually. "I don't care who you are," she warns, stepping closer to the Eunuch. "But a mere servant shouldn't be meddling in the affairs of masters."

The Eunuch's mouth hangs open in an "O" shape . "You- who are you?"

"Prince Yi Xuan's bride." Aya replies calmly, looking down upon him. "Li Aya."

A peal of bell-like laughter rings out across the court.

"It's the Royal Consort..." Cassadre whispers against Aya's ear before dropping to her knees.

"Eunuch Bai, don't you find the ground cold?" Consort Wren calls out airily. "Why do you make such a fuss?"

She treads lightly towards them, her hips swaying.

"Surely that arrow wasn't meant for me," She comments sweetly, stopping in front of Aya.

Her dense black fringe is trimmed in a straight line above perfectly groomed brows, and her raven black hair had at least five flower decorations of all sizes weaved into the loops, braids and swirls. Her purple dress was cut in such a manner that it revealed too much skin. Of course, no one but the Emperor dared to look too closely.

Pin knelt with his head bowed and Cassadre's palms were pressed against the ground.

"...Li Aya," Consort Wren smiles, bright red lips parting to reveal a row of pearly white teeth. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Aya is taken aback by the unexpected welcome.

Consort Wren steps forward, patting her arm fondly. "How is General Li these days? It's been a while since he was sent to the Northern barracks."