Chapter 5

Click! Bang!

The strange beast was thrown off to the side of you, pierced by the shotgun bullets Leon fired into its back. You heard the strange, sickly whimpers it made before convulsing and dying, giving you a few moments of relief.

Leon's hands ahold of yours and yanked you up off the bloody floor from your shock state, his eyes looking over you for any injuries. "You okay?" You nodded slowly, coming back to your senses.

"Come on, Claire went after that little girl. We can't leave those two alone!" He put the shotgun you lost back in your hands and took off running, leaving you following in a sprint.

"Wait! It's too dangerous on your own!" You heard Claire's yells echo down the path she took, leading down the same corridor the two of you came from.

"Why does she keep running away from us??" Leon yelled loud enough for Claire to hear.

"She's just scared!" Claire headed down the stairs first, right on the girl's tail. When you and Leon got halfway down the stairs, the bodies of the civilians from before began to rise and lunge themselves towards anything that moved. Leon started shooting at the closest ones, while you took the opportunity to aim at a few zombies at once with your shotgun, making the path more clear. By now, you had already gotten used to the shotgun's force, making it much easier to use. You jumped down to the bottom of the stairs and ran back down the other hallway with more boarded up windows. Claire let out yelps of shock when various hands began to burst through the cracks, pulling apart the wood to get inside.

"They're breaking!!" You shot at the hands, making sure they didn't grab Claire or the child that was barely in your of sight. "(Y/N) behind you!" Leon shouted, turning to find three police dressed undead a few inches away from you. You quickly fired, hitting their chests to back them up away from you. One of them died instantly while the other two staggered onto their feet, resuming their attempt at attacking you before you turned the corner.

Claire and the girl were nowhere in sight, making you wonder how didn't get to come face to face with those crawlers. Leon slammed the door behind you once you got back into the large welcome center, both of you a panting, sweaty mess from the chaos you came from.

"Claire??" You called out.

"Guys!" She came running towards your direction, a potent look of fear in her eyes. "She's gone!"

"Gone?? How??"

"I don't know! She came into this room, I saw her! But when I got here, and she wasn't here! She disappeared!" She put her hands to her head, catching her breath while frantically looking around.

"Maybe she's hiding in here somewhere, or she left the room! We have to look around!" You protested, worry filled your voice. The very LAST thing you needed to see was a dead child.

"No argument here, but I'm not sure where she could've-"
"Wait, maybe we can ask Marvin!" Leon spoke up, quickly walking ahead towards the statue in sight.

"Who's Marvin?" Claire quickly asked, following alongside you after the man.

"He's a cop we found, he was wounded when we found him..."
Your voice trailed off when you noticed that Marvin wasn't where you had last saw him.

"Marvin!" Leon called out to the man. "Did you see a little girl go past through here?"

Their was silence. What you feared the most was answered when you spotted Marvin, sitting against the border of the statue, shoulders completely slumped with his head down. A dark pool of blood had expanded around him, His skin pale from the loss of blood.