You Took My Hand And Held Me Close

"I'm sorry your highness. Please do not blame yourself." The doctor bowed her head sadly and shut the door to the hospital room quietly.

"But... it is my fault." Danny whispered to himself. He sat close to little Elizabeth, holding her small hand as she lay in the hospital bed, fast asleep. What happened just a few hours ago kept replaying in his mind.

Danny ran into the emergency room, holding his little girl in his arms.

"Please! Someone help me! I-it's my daughter!" Tears were threatening to spill as two nurses quickly ran towards the ghost king.

"If you will please follow us, we can get you some help." The doctor said as she helped Danny lay Ellie onto a gurney. The nurses immediately had Ellie hooked up to an IV and whisked her away into a hospital room.

"What are her symptoms?"

"S-she has a fever, she's been throwing u-up a lot. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but she has been very tired lately. E-ever since she's had a really bad cold about a week ago she's been more tired than she usually is." The doctor nodded as she typed these things into the hospital tablet.

"I think I may know what your daughter has contracted but I'll need to know if you had given her anything while she had the viral infection and if so what?" Danny was quick to answer.

"I gave her aspirin. She was miserable without it... why?" The doctor's face turned to one of guilt and sadness.

"Ah... that's why." The doctor typed in a few more things and Danny was growing impatient.

"Wa-what? What's wrong with her?" The doctor took a deep breath and removed her reading glasses.

"I'm sorry your highness. Your daughter has Reye Syndrome." Danny blinked. Once. Twice.

"What's Reye Syndrome?"

"Children recovering from a viral infection such as chickenpox, cold, or flu, or who have a metabolic disorder are most at risk, especially if they've been taking aspirin.
Early symptoms include diarrhea, rapid breathing, vomiting, and severe fatigue. Symptoms such as confusion, seizures, and loss of consciousness are common with Reye Syndrome. It can cause confusion, swelling in the brain, and liver damage." The doctor paused, letting her words sink in.

"Oh..." Danny barely noticed that he was crying, tears silently crawling down his cheeks.

"But I'm sure she is going to be fine! You brought her in early. Most people would wait and bring them in when the syndrome got worse and then the survival rate would only be at about 10 percent! But since you brought her in early the survival rate raises to 80 percent! So you have almost nothing to worry about!" The doctor babbled on. But Danny wasn't listening.

"It's my fault." He whispered to himself, "It's my fault. It's my fault. It's my fault. It's my fault. IT'S. MY. FAULT." His rambling eventually got louder and louder.

"W-what?" The doctor cut herself off and looked at Danny in surprise.

"It's my fault." Danny repeated again. The doctor was quick to get to his side.

"No, no, no, no. Your highness i-it's not your fault. Please don't think that." Danny just shook his head as tears continued to rain down his face.

"It's all my fault."  

Sorry that this chapter was so short!!! T_T I tried to write but I'm currently at a cousins house and was caught up in other things... I hope you guys enjoy this chapter anyway!!! I love you all my little mini muffins!!! Have a good day-night-timezone thingy!!! See you all in the next chapter!!! Bye!!!

:P