Chapter 9- Picnic

I don't really know who Dracula is, but obviously, I know that he has an unpredictable attitude. One minute ago, he was all smiles guy, now he acts like a dramatic madman. I somehow pity whoever his parents are. He seems as if he's a real spoiled brat.

"Where are we going?" I asked with a childish tone. He didn't move a single bit, "You'll see."

I know I shouldn't trust a vampire leader, and the fact that we're roaming around the castle gardens makes me feel uncomfortable. The castle gardens are absolutely fascinating and massive at the same time. Evelyn would love this place, she loves nature compared to extreme rollercoaster rides.

We remained silent for the rest of the tour. I don't even think that this is a tour. For me, this walk in the gardens feels like a death march, and Dracula's the leader. I managed to ask, "Why do you hate Mercedes that much, huh?"

Dracula stopped walking for a minute and shot me a grim smile. I froze as he spoke, "Some people aren't meant to exist you know."

After saying his thoughts, he continued walking, I followed behind him. "Why? Personally, I believe that everyone has the right to live a meaningful life. By the way, did you say people?"

"The word people isn't only used to point humans out. It's often used in the vampire language as well."

"So you also call yourselves people?" I asked, biting my lower lip afterwards.

"Is there a problem with that?"

"No," I said in a high pitched voice. I didn't want to offend him, but there's a huge possibility that I did.

"Be quiet then," Dracula retorted. Still keeping the same amount of velocity.

I disobeyed, "You practically haven't answered a proper answer yet."

"Why did you ask anything that made you think that I haven't given you an appropriate answer?"

Brainwashing is one of his techniques to make people follow all of his orders. How smart. "The one about Mercedes."

He stopped walking once again. "Why are you so interested with Mercedes?" Dracula said in an English accent. I find it cute how his Romanian accent shift to an English accent.

His statement made my face flush with the sweet color of red. "I'm not interested in him! Or anybody!"

I wasn't supposed to scream, but I don't know why I did. Probably what he said made feel quite embarrassed or because what he said is true.

"What made you say-"
"Shush, we're here."

Finally.

We were standing before an intricate picnic place. For me, it almost looks like a house. A huge circular table in the middle with chairs, flower vases located on the table, and human food. All the fancy food served in luxurious restaurants.

Speaking of food, I'm starving.

I glanced at Dracula, somehow confused and thankful at the same time. What is this? A date or something?

"I don't eat poison," I said sharply, about to walk away from the picnic area.

I dreamed of romance, yes. Romantic dates, flowers on the table, eyes locked to each other. But not with a vampire.

"This isn't what it looks like," Dracula said. Oh yeah, he read my mind.

I felt relieved. I nodded in agreement, "Yes, we should wait until I'm older." I absentmindedly said.

Dracula raised an eyebrow, the look on his face made me think that he's about to crack a hilarious joke. "Until you get older, huh?"

From sweet red, my face flushed even more with a darker color of red. I don't think that he's talking about a date, maybe about the poison really.

I changed the topic, "Who cooked this?"

Both of us sat opposite to each other. Dracula answered, "There are skilled vampires who could cook human food."

I nodded, looking amused. I immediately started placing food on my plate.

"Are you just going to sit there and watch me eat?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" He said, clasping his hands together.

The food is delicate, I haven't tasted something this delicious before.

I slowly ate, when Dracula asked, "How does it taste like?"

I feel like I'm going to choke, don't villains say that when they're poisoning their prey? Because Dracula sounds like one of those villains.

"It's amazing, really," I said, still food in my mouth.

"Would it be possible for you to live here when the food tastes like that?"

"Are-are you trying to poison me?" I asked, carefully wiping my mouth with the face of my hand.

"I don't know, maybe, maybe not."
Dracula said coldly while playing with his fingers.

Suddenly, I wanted to find a time machine. Who knows what ingredients they have used?

"I'm joking," he said with a dull tone.

I felt quite relaxed by that time, "You know what? You've got to practice your humor sometimes, 'cause that joke's not funny you know?"

He smiled creepily, "I know. It was really meant to make you feel ferocious."

Here he goes with his sun and moon attitude once again, now he's happy, one minute after he turns into a bulldog.

"You've got to practice your humor," I repeated with a more stern voice.

Dracula's smile suddenly disappeared, "About the question you wanted to ask awhile ago, what was it?"

I smiled a small smile and said, "Why do you want to know if humans are part of your ally."

With that, he laced his fingers altogether and said, "Welcome to the serious discussion, dear. Make sure to do your best to maturely absorb who and what the shadows are."