Chapter 4

Clark's POV:

I paced back and forth in the living room. I waited anxiously for Bruce's press conference to go live.

When it finally did, I froze in place like an ice statue, my terrified eyes glued to the screen.

I watched the whole thing, not focused on anything else. It was like all other senses other than hearing and sight had been shut off.

Bruce defended me in a very nice way, considering he didn't address our friendship. I wasn't offended. It would just raise suspicion about himself, which I'm sure is the main reason for his decision.

I know he did care about me, because of what he just did for my sake, but he wouldn't necessarily go as far as to make himself a public enemy. For his own reasons, and for the fact that this was Gotham. If you're an enemy in Gotham, you are screwed.

The rest of the conference went smoothly, apart from the last bit. A reporter woman invaded his privacy and nearly jumped into his car. She asked him what he'd do if I was really responsible for Metropolis's end. He said plainly, uncensored,
"If Superman is really responsible, we're all fucked."

People laughed and thought it was charming. I know what he was implying, but still.

"He does not mean anything against you when he says that, Clark." Alfred reassured me, reading my mind. "He just is saying that you are so powerful that if you were to do something like that, you could really do some damage."

"But people don't need to know that..." I said despondently.

"I'm afraid they already do. Based on what you do to your enemies, it can be surmised that you could do much more to a normal person."

"But I would never...oh, nevermind..."

I plopped down on the couch and buried my head in my hands.

This was never going to work.

I heard the front door open, but I didn't look up. What was the point? I would just tell him everything I felt and there would be no way to take back what he said. There was nothing I could do.

"Hey, Clark, what's the matter?" Bruce asked, and I felt a gentle hand rest upon my shoulder.

I felt heat rise to my cheeks. At first I thought it was because of the anger. "If Superman is responsible, we're all fucked." I mocked him.

"...Clark...you know what I was implying."

"Not everybody does. But I do thank you for going out of your way for me. You didn't have to do that."

"Of course." Bruce pulled me in for a hug, and then I realized the real reason for my unexpected blush.

I felt warm inside. Like a fire had been ignited. Most importantly, I did not want Bruce to let go.

When he did, I tried to assess all of the feelings that I had felt just then. And I simply couldn't.

Bruce looked me up and down, a confused expression on his face. "What's wrong, Clark?" Bruce asked, seemingly genuinely concerned.

I couldn't just tell him that he'd just given me butterflies. I had to make something up. "Oh...n-nothing, just a headache." I responded quickly, and shrunk back into the guest room.

It didn't look like he believed me.

Regardless, I sped into the room and closed the door, hoping that nobody would follow.

*****

Bruce's POV:

I really wanted to follow Clark into his room. But I knew it would just make him feel worse.

I wanted to believe him, too, but I just couldn't. No headache can make a person's face go completely red. Then again, he isn't quite a person, is he?

"Alfred? What should I do?" I asked my butler, hoping to get the answer I wanted, and not the answer that I knew was coming.

"Leave him be, Bruce. It's a miracle he's here at all. He would've been dragged off by police by now. And they aren't going to take his word for what happened, and there were no other witnesses, so...he would probably be jailed...maybe even killed."

In just a few sentences, Albert made me realize everything that was at stake. I felt my heart begin to pound a bit faster.

"Do not worry, Master Bruce. I know you can handle this." Alfred reassured me.

I sighed and headed up the stairs to Clark. I opened the door and felt my heart stop.

Clark lie on his bed, weak, depressed. He face had barely any color.

"Oh my God, are you okay? Do you need anything? I can get you some water, tea, something...Clark...Clark answer me!"

He did not reply. He just stared at me, his blue eyes filling with tears.

"Do you believe me, Bruce?" He asked, turning over, refusing to look at me.

"I...believe you?" I asked, confused.

"Do you believe me when I say that I did not do it?"

"Of course I do. I know you would never do such a thing."

I walked over to the other side of the bed and sat down on the edge of it.

He turned over again.

"I don't want you to see me like this, Bruce."

"It's okay. I get it. This is a lot to handle, I know."

Clark sat up and swiped his arm across his face. "I don't know, Bruce. Should I just...give up?" He asked.

"Give what up?"

"This. I mean, even though I didn't do it...I almost wanna just turn myself in and suffer the consequences. Nobody else believes me. What does it matter if two people do?"

I sighed. "Clark. I am here for you. You know that. And I have learned throughout my life that it doesn't matter how many people are with you. The only thing that matters is that the people who are, are genuine. And if they are, they will never leave. No matter what."

Clark housed a very vacant expression.

"And I am one of those people." I added.

A small smile spread across Clark's face. "Thanks, Bruce."

"No problem."