Chapter 11

Bruce's POV:

I didn't know how I was going to tell Clark that I was leaving. I couldn't tell him what it was for, but I didn't want to lie again.

Preserving his feelings was always more important. So I would have to lie.

Alfred was feeling a little better, so I told him everything except for the romance aspect of everything, and he shook his head.

"Do try not to get yourself into too much trouble, Bruce."

"I won't, Al. Promise. But...what do I tell Clark? I don't want to lie but I can't scare him either."

"Hmm. Well...maybe you could say it was a business trip for Wayne Enterprises, but...I would just tell him the truth."

I shook my head. Alfred wasn't understanding. "But he would insist on coming along and he cannot be seen back in Metropolis. It would destroy him. Emotionally, it would be a huge trigger. And politically, well, that doesn't make him look all that innocent."

"Tell him that too."

"I...I just can't, Al."

"You don't think he can handle himself alone?"

"I do! I don't think he can handle me alone. He is too protective of me. Which I...don't mind, it's just...I can't have him worrying."

Alfred sighed. "Alright, fine. But you shouldn't get into the habit of lying to him. He wasn't born yesterday."

I left the room and closed the door. Not what I wanted to hear.

After about ten minutes of gathering myself and preparing what I was going to say, I strode over to deliver the news.

"Hey, Clark!" I called, who was eating a burrito I had brought from Chipotle earlier.

He put down his food and pranced over to me. "What's up?"

"Uh...well...it's not really...good news. But...it's not bad either?"

My heart sank as Clark's smile quickly turned into a frown.

"Oh...what is it?"

"I...need to leave..."

"What?!" Clark exclaimed. "But...where? Why?"

"It's a business trip for Wayne Enterprises. I asked them to reschedule but they said it was not negotiable."

"Who is "they"? Who are you meeting with?" Clark was visibly concerned now.

"I'd...rather not say. They want to be kept secret."

Clark sighed and returned to his burrito. "Okay. Just be safe."

I was unsure if Clark was buying it or not. I decided to just drop it though, because if he catches me, that's the second time he's caught me in a lie.

I walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'll be back in a few days, alright? Everything is going to be okay. I promise."

The look that Clark gave me next literally broke my heart into so many pieces that my chest was starting to hurt.

"Just don't get yourself killed."

He...knew? How?

"I...I...I'm sorry, Clark."

He shook his head and looked me dead in the eyes.

"I wasn't born yesterday."

Alfred.

Either Alfred told him, or perhaps he overheard the conversation?

"Why aren't you letting me come again?" He asked, taking a bite out of his burrito.