Chapter 8

Three months later,
and things politically were not getting any better.
I was still not allowed to be seen in public, for my own safety, and that of Bruce's.

I was beginning to feel like I belonged here, though. This house was becoming a home. Especially with my crush living in it with me.

And even though I was over the moon at home, my anxiety was getting worse.

Bruce was being very patient with me, but I felt like I was being a burden.

And it had been three months since I had fully embraced my feelings for Bruce, but I couldn't see anything in him that relayed them.

I always told myself that maybe there was a little something, and that maybe he was denying it like I had been.

But nobody can hold in feelings for that long, can they?

*****
Bruce's POV:

There was not a day that went by that I wasn't thinking about Clark.

With his anxiety getting worse due to the political unrest and the threat of Luthor looming above him, I needed to be there for him more and more. Not that I minded of course.

It was getting around dinner time, and Clark and I were growing hungry. However, Alfred had gotten a cold, and we insisted that he not work, in fear of it getting worse.

Clark and I didnt want to blow up the kitchen, so we agreed on getting takeout. This of course required going out into town, which only I could do.

The closest fast food place was walkable, so I tried to speed by, but paparazzi is never far behind.

"Mr. Wayne! Mr. Wayne! Where have you been? Has your opinion of Superman changed? Mr. Wayne!"

I pushed past the crowd and into the burger joint. I needed to get back to Clark.

As I ordered our food and waited, it suddenly occurred to me that my rudeness to the public could land us in even more trouble. My stomach dropped.

We could not afford to do that.

After a short five minutes, our food was ready and I walked back outside to talk to the paparazzi.

The very same reporter who had asked me that controversial question at the press conference months ago, ran up to me.

"Mr. Wayne, where are you off to with fast food? And why did you dodge us earlier?"

I took a deep breath, trying very hard not to explode in anger.
"There is literally no point in answering that question. Do you know why? Because even if I ask you not to follow me because I have a private life, you're just going to follow me anyway. And as to why I pushed past you all, I mean I just want to order a burger in peace. So, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat that burger. Thank you."

I stomped off angrily, and after my speech, not a single reporter was on my tail.

I slammed open the door, ready to rant to Clark everything that had just happened.

As soon as I brought him his food, he knew there was something wrong.

"Bruce, you look absolutely livid! What happened?"

I explained, getting angry all over again.

Clark listened for a moment, and when I tried to go on, he stopped me. He didnt say a word, but I could tell what he was saying to me through his eyes.

His steely blue eyes...they entranced me, but I'd always ignored the feeling.  Clark stood behind me and massaged my shoulders.

"Relax, Bruce. You're home now. Just take a breather and eat your burger. They do not deserve the satisfaction of getting you upset."

Feeling his hands on my shoulders gave me a rush. The same rush I felt every time he touched me. But I always ignored it.

"But, Clark! They were literally chasing me! It was like a damn horror movie!" I exclaimed.

He turned me around and looked very intently at me. I felt my stomach drop to the floor.

"Eat your stupid burger." He said with a chuckle. "Forget about them, okay? You have more important things to worry about, and much better things to do than worry at all."

I nodded and thanked him. As we were enjoying our meal, I kept thinking about how he grabbed me, took control. He never did that. I was proud, and I guessed that that was what the butterflies were about.

Clark was currently gushing over Overwatch, and I watched and listened to him do so.

I couldn't help but come to this realization.

He was adorable.

And this thought circulated around and around in my head until I was forced to see what had been in front of me for months.

Either I was crazy,

Or I had a crush on Superman.