Chapter 3

In the days following Niall and Harry's first meeting, they had texted each other a total of five times. Harry always initiated the conversations, and even though he wasn't saying anything strange as it was mostly just getting-to-know-you talk, it still made Niall all jittery. He liked Harry a lot more that he would ever be willing to admit to Louis. It wasn't even an attraction to Harry necessarily (not that Harry wasn't attractive because he definitely was). But every time they'd talked, Harry was so sweet and gentle and protective, even if it was through a text. Niall couldn't imagine how he'd be in person on a daily basis.

Also as the days passed, Louis slowly dropped the joke about Niall falling on top of Harry. Niall didn't know if it was because he forgot or didn't think it was funny anymore or saw that Niall was unamused or a mix of all three, but any way, Niall was relieved that Louis had seemed to finally let it go. Of course, though, with Louis, it was never a matter of simply just letting something go.

"So I invited Harry over for dinner tomorrow," Louis said after letting himself into Niall's apartment and laying on his couch like he lived there himself.

"To my place?" Niall asked, looking appalled as he looked around his trashed apartment.

"Yeah, of course. How else would I leave you two alone?" Louis asked as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Leave us alone?" Niall squeaked. "I hardly know him."

"Oh, don't give me that bullshit, Niall," Louis said, waving him off. "I know you two talk. It's cute, really."

"Louis, this place is a mess," Niall started to whine, accepting the fact that Louis in all of his stubbornness was not giving in on the matter.

"Who cares?" Louis said with a shrug, flipping on the T.V.

"I care!" Niall said, stepping in front of the T.V. "This is the first time we're really going to...you know, be together, and my apartment is trashed."

"Fine," Louis sighed. "I'll have Liam come help you."

Niall gawked at him. "Or you could just help me. Since you're the one that invited Harry without my knowledge and all."

"Niall, you're making this so difficult," Louis groaned. Niall put his best pout on his face and looked at Louis from under his eyelashes in a last ditch effort to get Louis to do what he should do without Niall begging him. "Okay. Fine. Whatever. I'll help. Just don't make that face, you looks like someone just ran over your puppy."

"Thank you, Lou," Niall said sweetly, hugging around his neck.

"Yeah, sure," Louis mumbled, going back to staring at the T.V.

The next day came faster than Niall had hoped. After Louis had reluctantly stayed to help Niall clean up the apartment, he'd grumbled about it already being 8:00 and if he took a taxi home he might be abducted and then Niall would feel personally responsible for the rest of his life, Niall had finally just relented and told Louis to sleep on the couch. So, Louis ended up staying at Niall's place for the night and the entire next day. In times like those, Niall would still continue his nightly routine of wearing a nappy and having a dummy, but he would cut the bottle out of the equation and lock the door because who could ever tell when Louis was going to just barge in unannounced. Even Niall, who had known Louis since they were both in, well, diapers, couldn't predict when Louis was going to spaz, so he was just prepared at all times.

Now it was dinner time the next day, and Niall was running around like a crazy person trying to get dinner done. He was no cook, he never had been. He hated cooking, and he wasn't any good at it, and it stressed him out that Harry's second impression of him could be bad as well. He was still annoyed with Louis over him just throwing it on Niall and only giving him 24 hours to come up with something edible. Louis was still sat on the couch in the front room like the lazy ass he was. He had severe bed head, but he'd at least gotten up and changed into some of Niall's clothes.

Niall froze over the food he was stirring when the he heard the doorbell. He looked around the room frantically before smoothing out his clothes and hair and going to answer the door. He immediately regretted just throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, because just like the last time Niall saw him, Harry looked perfect. He was really a little intimidating when Niall thought about it. Niall wasn't the shortest person he knew by any means, but next to Harry he felt like a midget. He looked up and stared into Harry's kind eyes like a deer in headlights before Harry addressed him.

"Can I come in?" he asked, smiling at Niall.

Niall blushed before muttering a "yes," and stepping aside to allow Harry to slide in.

"Hey, Harry, mate," Louis shouted from the couch.

"Hey," Harry waved back.

"So, uh," Niall started awkwardly, "dinner is almost done." He avoided Harry's eyes, feeling uncomfortable.

"Alright," Harry said. "Do you need some help with anything?"

"Maybe?" Niall said, unsure of himself.

"Just tell me what to do," Harry smiled at him again. Niall just nodded and let the way to his small kitchen. As soon as they walked in, Niall noticed that the oven was smoking. He froze again before running to open the door to the oven.

"No," Niall said to himself. "This isn't happening," he said as he used his arms to fan the smoke away.

The next thing he knew, Harry was gently pushing him back and grabbing the oven mitts in his hands to take out the thoroughly burnt chicken. Harry was entirely too calm about the entire situation, putting the "food" on the stovetop and fanning at it a little more before stepping back and allowing Niall to take over again.

"Shit, no," Niall whined to himself, tugging on his hair. "I swear the directions said 350 degrees," Niall kept talking to himself, his voice becoming strained as he began to get upset. He couldn't believe that he'd once again embarrassed himself in front of Harry. He also couldn't help but think of all of the work he'd put into fixing dinner, and now here it was, ruined. He was so deep in his thoughts that he didn't even notice Harry coming up closer behind him.

"Niall," he called softly, wiping a tear from one side of his face.

"Sorry," Niall choked out, trying to get ahold of himself. "I thought it was fine."

"I'm not worried about the food," Harry said, leaning over to get the other tears. He gently tugged at Niall to get him to move away from the burnt food. "It's not a big deal at all," Harry assured him, and for some reason, Niall believed him. He blinked a few times before nodding and looking away in embarrassment. "How about we order a pizza?" Harry grinned.

"That's fine," Niall mumbled. It was silent for a moment, and Harry was about to reach for his phone to call the pizza place when Niall said, "I don't always cry so much, I promise. I just, I don't know. But it's weird, and I'm sorry you have to deal with me being a baby." Niall's face immediately flushed as he realized what he'd just said.

"I understand," Harry said kindly. "Now, what do you like on your pizza?"

After they'd all sat around the table to eat their fancy meal of pepperoni and sausage pizza, Louis had left with some lame excuse about feeding his cat. Niall rolled his eyes as his best friend left because they all knew Louis didn't actually have a cat. Harry helped Niall do the dishes and clean up the kitchen before going to look through Niall's movies. Niall took the opportunity to finally escape and change his nappy that had been wet for some time now.

He quietly snuck into the bathroom and stripped off his pants to make it all easier. He got under the sink to get out a clean nappy, wipes, and baby powder to help the rash that was probably starting to form. Everything was going as usual until it didn't. Because apparently nothing in Niall's life went as planned.

"Oh my god," Niall heard Harry say from behind him as he bent over to pull on his pants.

And all Niall could do was close his eyes and pray that this wasn't actually happening.

A/N: the suspense!!!!! How do you think Harry will react? And thank you for being so patient with this update, sorry it took so long. I won't leave you hanging for too long this time ;)