Talk Trial To Me

Eight in the morning comes way too early.

Justin and I ended up staying at my parents until around nine in the evening. It was just getting dark when we board the plane and set off back to Los Angeles. We were supposed to stay the night and most the day today too, but that all changed with the news of a trial. A very public trial, it seems.

News outlets everywhere are talking about it. Billboards with rotating news headlines are screaming out that the trial is already underway and is going to be the biggest scandal bust in history. "Scandal bust" I should say because none of it is true. Well, yes, the dating Justin thing is true, but I'm sure there will be things that are twisted and bent to be used against me.

By the time I am walking into the building to meet my legal team, I am surrounded by cameras and complete strangers shouting questions, asking about my personal life and about Justin. I ignore everyone and try to keep my face as neutral as possible, despite wanting to scream and yell and punch and kick my way out of the entire situation.

"Sorry about all that," my lawyer, Ronald, says sympathetically. I called him back early this morning once I was safely back in my apartment and came clean to him. I told him about having Justin as my client and then how our feelings developed for each other. I told him about the times that some clients have stayed over  because they couldn't go home or because they didn't want to be alone. I told him about anything I could think of that might be brought up. Even if it sounds bad, I don't want them to be caught off guard with any surprises. "We have everything set up upstairs so we'll get started as soon as we get in there."

"Sounds good," I say. I'm glad that I decided to spend a little extra money to hire the good law firm in town. They come recommended by most people I know. We walk off the elevator and into the fourth room down the hall. There seem to be no real walls- just floor to ceiling windows that form a box around us. The table is cluttered with stacks of papers- presumably all of my client notes. I'm not a big note taker, but I do count for the minutes in a session. At least for the minutes that I charge for. The rest of the time is off record. For now at least.

There are several- at least six- men and women that I do not recognize sitting, mingled among the ones that I am familiar with. I look to Ronald with the question written in my expression. He explains as he opens the door for me. "Some new lawyers courteous of an unknown source. They are good though. We can definitely use the help."

Again, tears threaten to spill. Taylor told me that day in the arena that she would do what she could to help. This was definitely helping. I will remember to tell one of the lawyers to give their "anonymous source" a 'thank you' for me.

                                                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I just walked in. I haven't even had a chance to drop my bag on the floor." I do just that as I say it. I kick my shoes off as well and head for the couch. "Today was so long. I just want it all to be over now."

"I get that," Marcus says. "I just don't understand why you never told me. I told you just about everything about me and you kept this from me?"

I close my eyes. He does not say it accusingly. More worried and sad than anything. "I told you I was a specific kind of therapist. I'm contractually not allowed to tell you much more than that if you had kept asking. I never even told one of my ex friends about who I was seeing as a client."

"I understand that," he says. I wait a moment to see what else he says but hear nothing but silence.

"I'm sorry I haven't called you." I scoot down on the couch so I'm laying down and my head is on the arm rest. I'm only minutes from falling asleep. "As you can tell everything has been hectic here. I hope you can forgive me."

"Of course I do," he says. "I've been busy with summer classes anyways. I decided to take my chance and enroll for that course I was telling you about. I have two tests a week that I can't fail or I'm kicked out of the program. I haven't been great company the last three weeks."

"Are you almost done with it?" I remember him telling me something about going back to college for the finish up a couple classes and earn his bachelor's.

"Yeah," he says. He sounds distracted. I can't complain though because I probably sound like a zombie. We spent seven- almost eight- hours in the office going over everything in the last year. I gave a list of names that could be potential character witnesses. I explained what my notes meant in some places. I made up my own language and pictures to write down the serious stuff. Even with a well-equipped legal team, I felt weird sharing all of the information. I felt like I was breaking the law. But then again, I was quite literally with the law while I was doing it.

To be honest, I did not hear a word that Marcus says. I am too caught up in thinking about the trial and trying to fight the sleep that I feel winning out. I can hear Marcus saying my name, but it feels more like a dream. I mumble something just before my mind completely shuts down and I drop my phone to the floor.

Little did I know that falling asleep while still on the phone would come back to haunt me.

SO! Just one or two more chapters left... depending on how I end the next one. Haven't 100% decided yet. BUT... I got a really good idea about maybe a third installment?? Would you want that? Comment below!