The Beginning of the End: Part 1

Being on trial is a scary thing. Seeing it on TV and in movies don't give justice to the nerves I am feeling. My lawyer informed me that under regular circumstances trials like this wouldn't go past a day or two but since it involved Justin and other celebrities, it would be dragged out. We are already on day five. 

The first two days consisted of going over my notes- which are limited and showed that I didn't follow protocol about recording sessions properly. My lawyer defended that with the notes sent in to the company. They were only referring to my personal notes. Then came my phone records, business and personal. Of course most calls between myself and clients were from my personal one. the nosiness one was for talking with managers and such. My lawyer tried to play that as a safety measure because magazines and 'nosey journalists' kept getting her business number nut not her personal one. the other side retorted that it was against her contract to have direct contact with her clients unless they reach out to her first. 

It started getting heated toward the end of the day when the company brought up my phone records from the other night. It showed that I was on the phone with a number belonging to a man named Marcus for over three hours. My lawyer pulled out all the fancy lawyer talk to show that that had nothing to do with the point of the trial. Thankfully, the judge agreed and called for order and then ended the day.

The judge may have dismissed the three-hour phone call, but I saw the look on Justin's face after the trial ended for the day. He knew who Marcus was. He also thought that I had broken up with him. I guess technically I hadn't but it seemed that he understood we were over. I wanted to explain to Justin that our conversation didn't last that long and that I'd just fallen asleep on the phone. 

Day three was the start of people on the stands. Just as they promised, Selena, Taylor, and Zendaya sat in front of the judge and jury. They were truthful and were very clear with their answers. Each time a new person went up to speak, I got teary at their words. 

Day four was pivotal. Shawn Mendes and an older client- Sterling Knight- were put on the stand. Sterling had been a two time client. Honestly, I'd almost forgotten about him until I dug up all my old notes. My lawyer insisted on trying to find other male clients I've had no matter how long they were with me. 

Shawn was up first. He answered the questions honestly. He would come over, we'd sit in the back room and talk. I would listen and then give him some advice. The last question he answered, myself and my legal team agreed, really persuaded the jury to my side. 

"I just have one more question," the man representing Carol and Sumpter Therapy, the company I answer to, said as he looked from Shawn to the jury. His tone was very cocky. "During your sessions was there anything Miss Booth did or didn't do that struck you as odd?"

"I wouldn't say odd. Maybe different," Shawn said. "I've been to a couple therapists before meeting Lindsey. Our sessions always left me feeling like she really cared. She never took notes until the end of the sessions. She didn't record anything either for fear of it being leaked. That's something I really appreciated. It felt like she was more of a friend than a therapist. It's a new kind of therapy experience with her and regardless of how this trial goes, I know for a fact that myself and others will still go to her for a listening ear either as a client or as a friend."

Now, day five was going to myself and Justin on the stand. I was prepped with standard questions but I knew I would tell the truth and let happen what's supposed to happen. Of course I don't want to lose my job but if the jury ruled in favor of the company, I had a Plan B. 

"Lindsey Booth to the stand please." I stand up and swear to tell the truth. As soon as I sit, the question rain down. 

"How long have you been with the company?"