Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Ma'am, Miss Kristina wants you to see her in her office." As Aileen was preparing herself to go to school, she heard her personal maid knock. Her eyebrows knotted with what she heard. Mother? But why would she...

Aileen didn't hesitate to follow her mother's orders. In all her life, she was terrified of her. Being the only parent that she have after her late father passed away years ago, her mother was strict and distant. She would only see her in her office due to being a busy professor at another university. Yet, Aileen didn't feel neglected because she understands her mother. She might be only like that because something in her heart was missing and she misses her father. As Aileen did.

When Aileen arrived at her mother's office, she found her sitting behind her desk, gazing at her intensely. Even though the room was air-conditioned, she felt like sweating due to fright. 

"Sit down," her mother commanded with a cold tone, as always. 

"You wanted me here, mother?"

"Yes. I'll be going out again for the next few months. Manang Tess will help you manage the house and with everything you need while I'm away. There's an urgent event at the university and it's necessary that I'll be there." Aileen wasn't surprised. This was just like last year when her mother had an urgent thing to do that she needed to stay at school for several months. Before, she just nodded and bid her farewell to her mother.

But now, she has become a bit curious. 

"Duly noted, Mother." It was all she could ever reply. 

"I want everything to be perfect and the same when I return." Her mother stood up and grabbed her laptop from her desk. Then, she glanced at Aileen with a piercing look in her eyes. Aileen secretly gulped at the sight, "Yes, Mother. Take care."

"I'll be off. I'll return in a few months." 

After her mother leaves, Aileen took a quick browse of the whole room. Her gaze landed on the desk and there she saw a small piece of crinkled paper lying on it. Her mother seemed to forget to pick it up. 

Aileen gathered the crumbled paper and immediately saw some writings on it. Her heartbeat accelerated when she read the first and upper parts. 

Ishi Gutierrez

Selene Aristen

Ishi and her best friend's names? Aileen's curiosity grew bigger after reading those. Why were their names written on a piece of paper lying on her mother's desk?

She didn't know why but suddenly, something deep in her guts tell her that something was not right. 

-

Big day. 

Napatigil ang ilang minuto kong pagtitig sa kisame habang nakahiga nang biglang kumatok si Mama, "Selene, bangon na."

"Opo, Ma," I replied loudly through the door and I heard Mama's footsteps walking away. Bumangon na ako ng kama at lumabas ng kwarto. Pagkababa ko, hindi ko nadatnan si Ate Serene sa sala o sa dining room man lang. 

"Mama, bakit wala si Ate? Hindi ba kami magsasabay?"

"Nauna na siya, kanina pang isang oras siya umalis. Kailangan daw kasi sila agad doon sa school." Tumango na lang ako at hindi na nagtanong pa. Pagtapos mag-agahan, naghanda na ako ng mga gamit ko.

This is it. Nakakakaba, pero nae-excite din ako. 

When I reached our gate, I saw Mama waiting for me outside, smiling, "Good luck, anak. Mag-iingat ka palagi." We both hugged each other and bid farewells to each other. Sigh.