♤1

Life is our most valuable asset. Without life, there would be no point to anything else. Possessions would be meaningless because no one would be around to value them.

The small town of Sugar Valley sat at the base of the Rocky Mountains. It was a tiny little speck in the state of Montana, invisible to almost anyone who passed it by. The people lived simply, and everyone knew everyone, it was hard to avoid people when there's a population of 157. Soon to be 158. The townsfolk were always involved in each others lives. The nosy old ladies loved spreading rumors about anyone and everyone, the town's mothers soaked up every word of it and spread it through the town like a wildfire of gossip.

Did you hear about Sheriff Bennett's daughter? I hear that she's scared away thirteen psychologists since her mother left.

Did you hear about Marleen Bradshaw? She found her husband under the covers with that Kathrine woman. I always knew he'd leave her eventually.

Have you heard about that Jillian Coleridge? It's the talk of the town. She's going to have a baby, no one knows who the father is. I always knew that child was a rebel.

The small town was horrific. There wasn't any privacy anywhere. That is, until it all changed. Until the day of the first murder.

The morning was quiet and calm. Snow fell softly from the sky, sprinkling the earth with a fresh powder. The small town was silent as the sun rose quickly over the mountain. Two teenagers walked together, enjoying the silence and the fresh air, dreading the end of holiday break. They walked down the snow riddled path that wound down the hillside next to the old Bradshaw mansion. It was a large Victorian home with a tall electrical fence surrounding the property that led deep into the forest behind it.

"So," Carson said suddenly, breaking the peaceful silence. "Do you and your dad have any plans for the final bit of break?" He asked awkwardly.

"No," Allison replied simply. "But my mom might finally come... for a late holiday visit," she said softly. "Well, at least that's what she said to dad."

"Oh. Well, if you aren't going to be doing anything then maybe you and I could possibly-"

"Wait." Allison stopped suddenly in place, listening quietly. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear... what?" He asked, not hearing anything at all. "Benny? I don't hear anything..."

"Exactly," she said softly, beginning to step slowly towards the large electrical fence. "It's always on..." She listened intently for the buzzing of the fence, when no sound reached her ears, she took off one of her fingerless mittens and reached towards it.

"Are you insane?" Carson hissed as he grabbed her hand. "It's an electrical fence! Do you have a death wish?"

"Look," she said, pointing over at a large hole at the bottom of the wire. "Blood..." A trail of crimson was splattered onto the white snow on the path in front of them.

"W-we should call your dad. Benny, come on. We need to go call your dad-"

"Fine, you go. Someone might be hurt..." Without waiting, Allison Bennett began running into the woods, following the trail of blood. Carson followed right after her, not wanting to leave her side. The only sound came from the crunching of the snow beneath their feet. Allison weaved through the trees, making her way deeper into the dark forest. Her friend struggled to keep up with her, ending up a few paces behind as he tripped on the icy ground.