♤6

He walked up the small driveway, feeling the soft flakes of snow drop onto his tan face. He stepped up to the bright red door and brushed a strand of hair away from his eyes before knocking confidently. Joslin pulled the door open and looked up at him.

"Kyle? Hello. You must be here for Alli," she said, hugging her jacket around her shoulders.

"Yeah, I am. Is she here?"

"She's just in her room," she said, stepping out of the way. "I didn't realize you two were together?"

"Oh, that's because uh, we're not. Not anymore..."

"Oh, so you were together? I know she had a crush on you for the longest time... why not anymore?"

"Oh you know... shit happens. I was a dumb ass and I lost her. We're still friends, at least."

"I know the feeling," Joslin whispered. "Well, they're back in her room."

"They?" Kyle asked, feeling a small knot tighten in his stomach.

"Right, yes. That boy uh... Jonathan is here with her."

"Oh. Great..." he said, turning and rolling his eyes as he walked down the hall. He stopped infront of the light blue door and knocked softly, slicking back his hair. Allison opened the door as Jonathan laughed from behind her.

"Oh, Kyle. Hey... come in," she said, stepping out of the way.

"Thanks..." he looked over and saw Jonathan sitting on the bed. "Hey, Johnny Boy," he said, not making eye contact.

"What are you doing here, Ky?" Allison asked, sitting next to Jonathan as Kyle took a seat on the hammock seat.

"Oh you know... I just wanted to check up on you... You've been through a lot lately. Especially with your mom being back."

"Oh god, what did she say to you?" He just smirked and sat up.

"Just a lot of nonsense as usual. Kept asking questions about us..."

"I want them to solve this murder thing already so she and her new husband will just leave," she said softly.

"Calvin doesn't seem that bad," Jonathan said. "A bit slow, but he's nice enough." Allison gave him a dirty look.

"So," Kyle said softly. "Jonathan. Are you bringing Jillian to the dance?"

"Uhm. You know, I haven't asked her yet," he replied, glancing at Allison.

"But you're going to? That's great. She's a sweet girl. Speaking of the dance... Allison, do you want to go with me?"

"Wait, what?" She asked.

"Do you want to go to the dance with me?"

"That's my cue to leave..." Jonathan said, standing up. "I'll call you later, Benny..."

"Yeah. Okay..." Jonathan glanced at Kyle before hurrying out. "You want me to go to the dance with you?" Allison asked, playing with the hem of her sleeve.

"Yeah, why not? It'd be fun. You know. Just like-"

"Don't say old times. I don't know if you remember this, but our old times aren't exactly great." She sighed and pulled her knees up to her chest. "Besides. You aren't exactly my dad's favorite person."

"No, but I could change that. Come on, Alli. You're the one always saying that everyone deserves a second chance, right?" He stood out of the hammock chair and sat next to her on the bed.

"I gave you one," she whispered. "And then you went and cheated on me. For a second time... with Vanessa of all people."

"Yes, but I very nicely told you the truth about it. That has to count for something." Allison just rolled her eyes. "Come on. I know you've forgiven me, at least a little bit. I miss you. I miss what we had so much. It kills me to see you with Jonathan. It's obvious that he's falling for you, and who can blame you. And then there's Carson..."

"Kyle, what are you talking about? Jon likes Jillian... and Carson? Theres no way."

"I know you can't see it, and that's fine, but come on. Allison. I'm completely in love with you. And I know that there's something between us still. Please. Just one more chance. If it doesn't work out then fine. I'll drop it. Just. Please. Go to the dance with me... one last chance and I'll walk away. I promise." Allison bit her lip and looked up at him.

"Fine," she whispered. "One last chance... but this doesn't mean we're dating." Kyle smiled and stood up.

"Yeah, of course. Thank you. You're not going to regret it..." he leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow at school," he whispered before pulling away and walking out.