♤4

The wind howled viciously outside. Allison stared solemnly out the window, watching as her father walked to his patrol car for work. The moment he was gone, she grabbed her backpack and silently walked out of her room. She crept down the hall quietly, glancing at her mother's closed door. She scoffed silently and continued her walk to the front door.

"You're up early," a sudden voice said from behind her. She startled and turned around, covering her mouth with her hand. She quickly cleared her throat and stood up taller, not wanting to seem fazed by her mother's husband.

"I have school," she said, shrugging him off.

"At 5:30 am?"

"Yeah well, I have some people to talk to before class, and I'm... on the yearbook team. So, I have to go now..." Calvin looked at her skeptically as he sipped from his coffee.

"Okay. Well, your dad doesn't want you to walk alone, so how about I give you a ride?" Allison tugged at the sleeves of her sweater, looking down at her black vans as she kicked at the ugly shag carpet.

"I'm okay with walking, it isn't that far..."

"Allison, I know you don't know me, and your mother never even said anything about ne, but how would it look to her if I let her daughter go out alone when there's a murderer running around?"

"Well..."

"Look. I'm in no way trying to replace your dad. Okay? But you shouldn't walk alone..."

"Okay... fine," she agreed, rolling her eyes. "But I have to go now, so."

"Alright. I'll just grab my keys and we can go..."

The drive was long and painful. For the most partn it was silent. Calvin had learned the night before that she didn't want to respond to his questions. He realized what Joslin had yet to come to terms with. It was going to take a while for Allison to warm up to him...

"How old are you?" She asked, breaking the thick silence. He chuckled lightly and glanced at her.

"37. How old are you?"

"You're twelve years younger than my mom?" Calvin bit his lip before shrugging his shoulders. "What do you even do for a living?"

"Actually, I work for the FBI. I'm a detective."

"Is that why you're really here then? Are they sending in the feds?"

"We're here for you."

"So you're not going to do any investigating at all?" He clenched his jaw and sighed.

"When my boss heard we were coming he did ask he to do a bit of digging, but really. You're the only reason we came at all." Allison nodded her head and looked out the window, thinking of her next question.

"Did she even tell you my full name? I feel like that's something that a stepfather should know..." Calvin glanced at her and she gave him a wry smile.

"Allison Bennett?"

"Allison Florence Della Bennett, but honestly I doubt she remembers half of the time..."

"She loves you, Allison. She really does."

"Does she ever even tell you about me? I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even tell you she had a kid until after you were married."

"She told me before. She talks about you all the time."

"She never even mentioned you to me..." he let out a soft breath as he pulled up to the small school. Before he could say anything else, Allison got out of the car.

"Have a good-" she slammed the door and pulled her hood over her head, marching into the school. "Day..." he finished. Calvin sighed softly and made sure she got into the building before driving back to the house.

Allison walked to the library and sat at her usual table, hidden in the corner behind the ripped and broken books that were stacked messily on a random shelf. She pulled the leather bound notebook out of her backpack and dropped it onto the table. Terrible thoughts began bombarding her, the images of the murders, the lies of her mother; everything was pressing down in her, and she didn't understand why she felt like it was all her responsibility. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she rested her head against the table.

"You're up early," a voice said suddenly, causing her to jump. She looked up and felt her heart skip a beat as Jonathan sat across from her. "Do you usually come in at six in the morning?" He asked, propping his head up on his hand as he examined her.

"Only when I'm trying to avoid someone," she admitted, sighing as she folded her arms on the table and rested her head on them.

"Your mom is back in town?" Allison scoffed and hid her face, trying to hold back the tears that were ready to fall.

"Is it sad that you and I haven't talked in about a year, and you just automatically knew?"

"Yeah well... I got to know your mom pretty well when she was still around..."

"God, I hate her so much. Do you know what she did?"

"What?"

"She got married. She didn't even tell me! And the guy..."

"Total jerk? Worst person ever? Do we hate him?" She sighed and looked up at her old friend.

"No. He's actually nice. Way too nice, but that's not what I was going to say. He's more than ten years younger than her."

"You're kidding me?" She just shook her head. "How's your dad taking it all?"

"He's the one that called her. I think they want me to go with them..."

"Leave Sugar Valley?"

"Yeah... at least until the killer is arrested." Jonathan sighed and stepped around the table, sitting next to Allison. He gently put his arm around her.

"What's wrong with this town?" He asked. She laughed lightly and rested her head on his shoulder.

"If we knew, this wouldn't be happening."

Sugar Valley was indeed a strange town, but no one knew how crazy it really was.