Chapter 7

Unedited.

Thorin pushed past me, keeping me from hearing Gandalf's latest comment. "Was this your plan all along?" The dwarf asked harshly. "To seek refuge with our enemy?"

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf looked down to him. "The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself."

Bilbo raised his eyebrows at me while Thorin spoke. "You think the elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." He shook his head.

"Of course they will!" Gandalf said. "But we have questions that need to be answered." Thorin looked to the stone stairs, sighing. "If we are to be successful, it needs to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me."

That was that. Gandalf took lead, winding us around on a different kind of pathway, one more open. We wandered around, down a steep bridge-like hill. It took no more than twenty minutes to reach the gates of Rivendell. Bilbo walked near Gandalf, which was a bit upsetting for me, I won't lie, but Kíli kept me company. I linked arms with him as we crossed a stone bridge over a bumbling river into the city.

It was such a sight to see. Sculptures of elves guarded the end of the bridge. Building were designed with gorgeous engravings. There was so much to look at. Waterfalls fell along the rocks so naturally and gracefully and as we got closer, I noticed small houses were built into the mountain.

I almost felt bad for thinking it was beautiful. Thorin would probably throw me in a dungeon if he knew my feelings of this place. We gathered around, sort if like an outdoor waiting area. The men had disgusted looks on their faces as I was still awed.

A delicate looking elf walked down the stairs of the city, "Mithrandir," he called.

Gandalf turned, smiling. "Ah, Lindir!" Then they began to speak in elvish.

I looked up to Kíli, "What do you think they're saying?" I whispered in his ear, moving his long hair out of the way. My finger traced the outline of his cute, little ear.

He leaned down to me, lips on my earlobe, "I think they're chatting about how big their last poo was."

I shrieked with giggles before clamping my hand over my mouth. I received a dirty look from Thorin, but grins from everyone else. Leaning into Kíli's chest, I continued my giggling quietly until the wizard and elf spoke in our language again.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf said.

Lindir simply replied, "My Lord Elrond is not here."

"Not here?" Gandalf questioned. "Where is he?"

The same horn we heard from the battlefield blew behind us again. We whipped around to face the entrance from the bridge. About a dozen elves on horses rode gracefully towards us.

"Close ranks!" Thorin commanded.

The dwarves quickly made a box shape. Kíli pulled me into the middle with Bilbo and a few others, weapons already out. I rolled my eyes, Thorin is so over-dramatic. There was at least one dwarf facing each direction and the elves drew nearer.

They rode around us, which was kind, but then proceeded to circle us in. I dunno if that was on purpose or if they're horses need to cool down. Kíli kept one hand on me, making sure I wouldn't get myself into trouble. The dwarves growled, pushing each other back into safety if one went too far out. I stood in the middle, being bumped around, getting irritated. Good thing my period ended this morning.

"Gandalf!"

"Lord Elrond," Gandalf greeted with a truly happy smile. They began to talk in Elvish.