Chapter 8

Oh my god okay no judgement. So cheesy..also unedited. Oh god...

My door creaked open. Groaning, I sat up, relighting the lantern, and said, "Kíli, I'm too ti-Thorin?" He stood in front of the wooden door, smiling. Smiling? Thorin doesn't smile. I pulled the duvet up, covering myself. "What's up?"

With his hands clasped behind his back, Thorin walked to the side of my bed. "Elrond could read the map," he had the most genuine smile I had ever seen on his lips. "On Durin's Day, the last light will shine upon the keyhole." He looked so tired, yet so happy.

I grinned at him, "Thorin, I'm so glad," He nodded, sitting on the side of my bed. "I've never seen you like this."

Thorin looked up at me. The smile on his lips did, in fact, reach his eyes. It made me smile, seeing him like this. "Yes, I am very happy," he murmured. His eyes widened, like he'd just remembered something. "Gandalf and I have come up with a plan. Elrond knows we are seeking out the mountain, so we are leaving around sunrise. We don't want the elves stopping us. Gandalf is in a 'meeting' with Elrond at the moment. He will meet us in the mountains just east of here."

I sighed. Thorin frowned at my response. "I really wanted some sleep,"

Thorin squinted a little, thinking to himself. He was contemplating something. His expressions made me want to know what it was. "What are you thinking?" I asked softly. He shook his head, chuckling a little.

He reached out to me, undoing my messy braids in his hands. Thorin braided; his fingers were gentle and slow. He seemed so different. I watched him carefully as he concentrated on my hair. He was still stressing over whatever he wanted to do or not do. Every few twists, Thorin's skin would make contact with mine. I wanted to act normal, but his touch electrified me.

When he was finished, he secured the beads in their places and looked me in the eyes. I fingered his braids, "May I?" I whispered. He nodded slowly as I pulled out the beads identical to mine from the bottoms of his braids.

His wavy hair was unusually soft for a man on such an adventure. There were streaks of grey starting from the roots of his forehead, not a lot, but a few. They stood out against his dark hair; I thought it made him look sexy. First, I traced them, making him shiver. It was odd for me to see Thorin like this, so happy and without worry. My fingertips ghosted over his scratchy cheek causing him to suck in a quick breath.

Smiling softly, I looped my index finger around a lock of his hair just above his ear. He closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation of the braiding. I repeated this on the opposite side, but just when he thought I was done, I ran my fingers through his long hair. His eyelids fluttered.

Thorin was so easy to read when he was vulnerable like this. The body language and the look in his eyes told me everything. He was happy, happier than he'd been in a while.

He took his hands in mine, sighing. He had come to a conclusion for what he had been contemplating.

"Thorin, what is it?" I asked, placing a hand on his warm, scruffy cheek.

The dwarf king gave a weak smile, "I have noticed that there has been quite a bit of tension between us." I nodded, looking down. His index finger, brought my chin up and his thumb stroked my cheek. "I just want to do something,"

My eyes moved from his to his lips while I nodded. Oh. He smelled so good tonight, like a forest after a spring shower, oak and leather, but also spicy and earthy. The aroma was intoxicating. Thorin's lips brushed my neck and exposed shoulder.

I didn't know how to react to any of this. My brain became fuzzy; my subconscious screamed at me to stop this, but my heart whispered to see what would happen next.