3 - Numbers

Chapter Three - Numbers

It had been 3 days since Johnny first arrived at the school and already he was causing a bit of a stir. Word had got out that he was gay pretty fast and he was doing his best not to be annoyed at how much of a big deal people were making it. He kept up his calm façade however, knowing that it would sound die down. There would have been a much bigger fuss if he’d waited or denied it. It was best that he introduced himself as gay so that there was no need to ‘come out’ later.

Kyle was trying to act cool as usual, and failing, as usual. He hoped this year would be different, evidently not. He’d given a lot of thought to what happened with Johnny, the little that did. He still didn’t know how he felt. He did feel that it was unfair to add anything to draw attention to his already uncool self. Being gay wouldn’t help. Certainly not with how everyone acted at school about gays.

Weaving through the first signs of corridor congestion, he made his way towards the Maths classrooms. Kyle excelled at maths, it just came naturally. It wasn’t helpful really; if he had to naturally good at anything why couldn’t it have been sports or something that made him look cool?

He arrived at the classroom and took his place, standing behind his chair and lolling his head backwards.

Johnny walked into the classroom last, his dark fringe swishing over his eyes. He looked around and then walked up to the teacher, introducing himself nonchalantly. Kyle watched him explain himself with a confusing fondness. He seemed like a fun guy and Kyle felt jealous of his charisma and obvious charm, which gave him an air of confidence not easily achieved by a teenaged boy used to moving to often to be settled. Maybe the constant movement meant he gave up on first impressions and focused on coasting at each school before leaving. Kyle looked away. He thought about the events of last lesson. Johnny was so at peace with his sexuality that he wasn’t afraid to talk about it openly. Yet still, he seemed so masculine and rebellious, for Kyle it was hard to imagine him not being the type of guy to enjoy chatting up girls and taking them out places. Maybe I was wrong to stereotype Johnny, he thought, maybe his just a cool guy who likes other guys, if it can be that simple.

“Hey Kyle?” a cool, placid voice said above Kyle, breaking through his deliberation.

He looked up to find Johnny standing above him, bag over shoulder, clutching his new Maths book. Kyle lowered his pen and stood up defensively, ready for the obvious rebel to make some comment, “Yeah?”

“I’m really bad at Math. Will you help me?” Johnny raised his shoulders pulled a distressed face, trusting in the helpful nature he noticed in Kyle.

Stunned, Kyle looked around quickly, “Sure,” he replied slowly, “You know you’re endangering your chances of a good reputation at this school by asking me for help? I’m not of a great social standing, but you probably gathered that.”

Jonny threw his bag underneath the desk, tossed his book down and dragged out the chair next to Kyle’s “So? Reputations are for people who care,” he tugged off his leather jacket and sat down.

Kyle allowed a small smile to creep across his face. Finally, someone who isn’t afraid, he thought, sliding back into his chair.

He watched Johnny get out a pen and scrawl his details on the blank Maths book and then flick it open to the first page where he added the date to the top left-hand corner. Johnny sensed Kyle’s eyes watching him. He glanced upwards and met Kyle’s gaze. The two paused before Johnny straightened his back and closed his book.

“I haven’t properly introduced myself yet. Johnny Carter,” He held out his hand politely and waited for Kyle to shake it.

“Well you did, in English the other day.”