19 - Plum and Violet Wildflowers

Chapter Nineteen - Plum and Violet Wildflowers

Going back a day, to Wednesday afternoon, across town there was another gay kid very much smitten. Sam lay on her bed with her ankles crossed, biting her smiling lip. She was mid-way through a text conversation with Pathina, one of many they had had since Sam had jotted down the number from the cookie and nibbled it as enticingly as she could manage as she held Pathina's gaze and winked at her before slipping thought the coffee shop door. She'd done her best to hold her cool as she left the shop, well aware Pathina would be watching her from the window.

After that she'd grinned all the way round town as she wandered to kill time. She had most certainly noticed Pathina before although never been served by her, only watching her from a distance, hoping she'd get a chance to work her charismatic powers on her.

'Charismatic powers' was an over-statement. She did have charisma, the kind of charisma that comes naturally to someone like Sam who didn't try to be liked; someone who moseyed through life just being herself.

And now that charisma had gotten her an admirer. Well, the charisma hadn't done much, they'd only talked for a short while but that didn't matter now.

Sam had waited until she got home before texting Pathina a casual, 'Hey. It's Sam, the girl from the coffee shop.' She debated adding a smiley but then decided against it, leaving setting tone of the conversation Pathina.

'Correction: It's Sam, the cutie from the coffee shop ;)'

Sam's eyes lit up as she read the message. Aww, she's sweet. What do I have to lose here? Might as well be sweet right back. Sam grinned mischievously as she typed back 'Ok then, It's Sam, the cutie from the coffee shop ;) Cutie here's wondering why a beautiful girl like you gave her their number...' She ran her fingers through her hair and thought how flirty she could get away with being by text to a girl she just met.

'(Nawww! You're really sweet!) Well the girl thought made she could hook up with said cutie from the coffee shop.'

The conversation continued and it turned out... Sam could get away with been very flirty by text as Pathina was being just as flirty back.

But that was back on Saturday and they'd gotten to know each other considerably since then.

'What are you thinking about?' The message flashed up on Sam's screen and she held it over her head to read, still lying down her bed.

She thought for a moment before replying, 'I'm thinking about changing into some nicer clothes and coming to see you.' She knew Pathina was at work, they'd briefly discussed it earlier. Usually, Sam would have been out somewhere after school, at a cafe with a book or just walking around town but she'd come home specifically to change to see Pathina, she'd just been waiting until the right moment to tell Pathina she was coming.

'Well I think you should stop thinking and get over here. I want to see you :)' Sam leapt off her bed when she read the message and rummaged through her wardrobe for something nicer to wear. She looked down at her school uniform, puzzled as to what she should go for. She switched her school trousers for jeans, her blouse for a t-shirt and hoodie.

Her reflection disagreed with her choice. She sighed despondently. Slowly, she walked to her drawers and drew out a black skirt. Biting her lip she looked back at her mobile that she'd left on her bed. What would Pathina like? She thought looking back at the skirt. She hadn't worn it in ages, partly because there was no where she felt she could wear it to and partly because she hadn't got the guts to wear it often anyways.

Within ten minutes Sam had left the house and set off towards the coffee shop in a red hoodie and her neat black skirt with dark tights. She hoped Pathina would comment on her legs when they met, it would certainly encourage her to wear more skirts in the future.