14 - Rainbow Bracelets and Icing

Chapter Fourteen - Rainbow Bracelets and Icing

While Kyle and Johnny were on their way to the park, back in town Pathina hummed as she milled around the café filling orders. She liked to keep herself busy when at work instead of slacking off; to make the time pass quicker but also to feel as though she had earned the money that she was paid, which wasn’t much but it was more of a bonus because she really did enjoy working there and soaking up the friendly atmosphere.

It was while Pathina was behind the counter, sorting mugs, when a girl walked through the door, disturbing the little brass bell into chiming, announcing her arrival. She looked around and located an empty table near the door and walked over to it, her eyes boring down into the wood floor as she glared at it. Angrily she threw down her bag, collapsed into the chair and threw her head into her hands.

Pathina recognised the girl but realised for all the times she’d seen her in the café she’d never asked for her name, which was strange because Pathina found her quite attractive and always made sure she knew the names of the pretty girls just encase they turned out to be batting for her team. She watched the girl carefully, sliding a mug around behind the counter to give the illusion that she was still working.

The girl raised her head slowly and ran a hand through her long brunette hair, pushing it behind her shoulder tensely. Once her hair was out of the way she creased to look angry and look instead forlorn and sad, as if something terrible was troubling her. It didn’t seem to matter a great deal however as she quickly reached into her bag and pulled out a text book, laying it in front of her gingerly.

Finally sorting out the cups, Pathina took a step back behind the counter and hooked both thumbs around the straps of her apron, still looking towards the girl. She looked to be about Pathina’s age but her faded jeans and oversized hoodie gave her a younger looking appearance even with the sleeves hiked up past her elbows. Pathina wondered if she she go and ask what was wrong but though that might be too personal and offend the girl so instead she pulled out her ‘Orders’ notebook and marched over.

“Hey,” she said pleasantly flashing the girl a smile, “Can I get you something to..” she stopped abruptly as she saw something she couldn’t have seen from across the room but made her heart jump with excitement – a thin rainbow bracelet encircling her dainty wrist.

The girl didn’t notice Pathina’s gaze but looked up questioningly when she paused, “something to drink?” she finished for Pathina.

“Oh, yeah, something to drink?”

“Lemonade please,” she sighed looking back at her textbook vaguely, unable to sort the words on the page so just staring at the text.

Pathina nodded and went to retrieve the drink from the counter, all the while thinking about the bracelet. Does it mean she’s gay? Should I ask her? She’s really pretty! But what if it’s just an ordinary bracelet?

She returned with the glass unesscarily perched on a silver tray. She placed it just to the side of textbook.

“Thanks,” the girl looked up and smiled, Pathina felt her heart quiver a little.

“I’m Pathina,” she said sticking out her hand for the girl to shake.

The girl smiled again and took her hand, “Sam,” she replied releasing Pathina’s hand and picking up her lemonade.

As she sipped Pathina thought, well it’s nice to put a name to the face. Sam. She smiled inwardly, Pathina and Sam, she toyed with the idea of asking her out there and then but Sam’s crystal clear voice interrupted her thoughts.