Chaper Three

I dreamt, the sounds were so vivid and clear but, everything was dark. It was more as if I was replaying memories that I've forgotten. Can you even dream when you're like me? Dreams are comforting but not this one, I could hear only gunshots, I could feel my mother holding my cold lifeless hand with her warm ones, a machine beeping, then I couldn't feel anything at all.

-

It's been about two days since I supposedly 'died', well at least it feels like it's been two days. I really wouldn't know in this place. The clocks are still at 7:49 pm, that's something I should ask Vic isn't it? He seems to know a lot more about this place than me. He even has started to build a lot more confidence around me since I first met him, and I think I'm helping him remember things too. He's very smart, ironic since he took a gunshot to the head and half his brains were blown out.

"Vic?" I said gaining his attention. I guess here, here as in being in between heaven and hell, you are able to sleep but you don't get tired if you don't. I ended up falling asleep on Vic but, he didn't mind.
"Do you have any idea why the clocks are stuck?" I asked.
"I noticed that too, in my hotel room the clock is at around 2 am, I believe that around the place you died the clocks that had any relation with you became frozen at 7:49 pm." he said.
"I never told you when I died." I said.
"You didn't have to, I already knew" he said.
"How?" I asked.
"I was suppose to move on ages ago, but I stayed with a purpose. I'm here to move on with you." he said confidently.
"Really?" I asked. I wonder if he was some kind of guardian angel.

"Yes really, now c'mon. I want to show you something." he stood up straight from under the tree and gave me a hand up.
He held my hand as we walked towards the edge of our town, we started to walk up rocks and high places until we arrived to a cliff. Below us was a long outstretch of deep water. Many people came here during the summer, some would drive here to watch the sunset, make out, couple things, some people would jump off the surrounding cliffs into the water. I usually would stay inside in the summers and sleep, usually completely uneventful. Not like I would ever have the guts to jump off of a place like this.

I followed Vic as he sat down onto the edge of the cliff, swinging his legs over the ledge. The sun would set soon, I guess he wanted to watch it with me. It was peaceful, silence. Not even the water made a sound as it splashed onto the rocks below us.
"Are we in the same world as the living?" I asked.
"Yes, but they're invisible too us as we are to them. We can sense them and at times they can also sense us." he said.
"How do you know so much?" I asked, really he knew everything. I wonder how long he's been here.
"I've been here for a while" he answered. "and sometimes you pick things up".

After saying that he stood up and reached out his arms to me, signaling that he wanted me to stand as well.
"and sometimes you find out about things that you couldn't do before." he said once I was eye level with him.
He began to walk closer to the cliff and I followed, we both looked down at the sharp rocks below us. I couldn't protest or even move out of the way before Vic picked me up from the ground and jumped off the cliff with me against him.

I thought I would feel some pain or shock from the freezing water once we hit it but, in this world you're senses are sort of numb and you barely feel most things you regularly would. Out of habit I held my breath, I didn't need to at all, I didn't even need to rise from the water to breathe. Vic held me under the water until I opened my eyes. When I did, I saw him and it was amazing. It was like extreme scuba diving. Fish and others sea creatures raced around us, they sensed us. I could see the sand covered ground and the seaweed that poked out of it. It was a whole new world entirely, I didn't need oxygen filling my lungs, I could experience it without anything holding me back. We stayed below the water for a few minutes really taking it all in until Vic's grip loosened and we both floated to the top.

"Wow." is all I could really say, I was dumbfounded by the whole experience.
"Yeah, I know" Vic said, grinning and nodding at me.
"Things like this really make me question the whole moving on thing" I laughed.

Vic smiled at me and we both started to swim towards shore. We sat on the beach and looked onward to the sunset until it became nighttime. I really hope we do something like that again.

Vic told me funny stories that happened to him while he was here, the reason he found out about how the sea affects spirits was that while he was on the cliff looking towards the ocean, he thought he heard something coming from behind him. I guess he spun around too quickly and slipped and fell into the water. He said even when he was alive he was that clumsy. Maybe he died by accidentally falling onto a bullet.

"What happens if you never move on?" I asked, I really was all questions with Vic but I loved how he had all the answers.
"I believe that you simply just stay here, every soul moves on." he said.
That really gave me hope, I was worried that I wouldn't find what kind of 'unfinished business' I have and I would just be stuck.
"What do I have to do to move on again?" I asked.

"Remember how you died." he said.

"And you're going to help me find out, right?"

"Of course, that's why I'm here."