An Accidental Miracle- Part Four

The next day, Vanilla had gone to the hospital for her ultrasound. The doctor was a bit surprised at how Vanilla could be pregnant, she was a 16-year-old! Much too young to tend to a baby, but the doctor said nothing. She put the ultrasound tube on Vanilla's stomach, and it allowed her to see the baby boy. He was a black hedgehog, who looked just like Mephiles, only instead of blue streaks, he had red streaks. Vanilla saw the baby sucking his thumb and moving in her stomach, his eyes closed. "Oh!" Vanilla cried with joy, putting her hand over her mouth and smiling. The doctor smiled at Vanilla. "He is a very healthy hedgehog", she said. Vanilla smiled at her doctor. "Thank you so much for doing this for me", she said, feeling euphoria. The nurse chuckled. "Congratulations", she told her. Vanilla shook hands with the doctor and hurried home with the baby pictures. She absolutely could not wait for her boyfriend  to see them. Vanilla decided to happily clean the apartment until her boyfriend returned. After what seemed like forever, Mephiles finally opened the door to the apartment. Vanilla came rushing over to him, and hugged him tightly. "Oh Mephiles!" she said, excitedly. "The pictures came today!" She rushed to their bedroom and got the ultrasound pictures. The couple sat on the couch stared at the pictures of their new fetus. He was so cute! A tiny black and red hedgehog, closing his eyes and sucking his thumb. Mephiles was prouder than ever, and couldn't believe this was real. Vanilla put her hand on her boyfriend's. "He looks just like you, only with red streaks!" she exclaimed. Mephiles kept staring at the picture of his new little boy. He couldn't wait to meet him. All the apprehension he had once had about the baby had dissapated. This was real. His life was going to be better than ever. Vanilla, too was looking at the pictures and thinking about names. She smiled at Mephiles. "I think I've thought of a name for the baby!" She said. Mephiles looked at his smiling girlfriend. "Alright, what is it?" he asked. Vanilla looked her boyfriend  in the eyes. "Do you like the name 'Dark'?" She asked, seriously. "The baby is going to be black and red, which are two very 'dark' colors put together. So why not?" To Vanilla's dismay, Mephiles shook his head and smiled at his girlfriend. "I mean 'Dark' is a cute name", he began. "But it's a bit expected, you know? You are right about the baby having 'dark' colors, but let's think of something that actually IS dark." The couple both thought a little while, then Mephiles beamed with joy. "I know!" he began. "Why don't we name the baby 'Eclipse'? Eclipses are dark, right? And doesn't it sound good for our little son?" Vanilla giggled. "It does sound cute", she began. "But eclipses are pretty big things, in comparison to this tiny little baby, you know?" Mephiles nodded in agreement. Just then, a name that Vanilla hoped her husband would like came into her head. She beamed very brightly. "I've got it!" She shouted. "Eclipses make shadows, right? And shadows are just miniature versions of eclipses! So why don't we name our baby 'Shadow'!?" Mephiles thought for a bit. The name 'Shadow' didn't only sound cool, but it really was the miniature version an 'eclipse'. Mephiles let the name sink into his head and he then clapped his hands together. "We've got a name!" He shouted. "His name will be Shadow. Shadow the Hedgehog! It flows so well, and it's so, so perfect!" The couple kissed and hugged. This really WAS perfect. All the fear and sadness about the baby coming had gotten replaced with joy and excitement! Now came the worst part of the pregnancy: the agony of awaiting their precious newborn.