Chapter 2

Leonard was talking to the Earl of Kenwood, his father's old acquaintance.

"I'm sorry about your parents' demise," he said.

Leo felt like saying something sarcastic. After all, his mother had died in the bed of one of her lovers and his father had shot himself. The entire ton knew his family's sordid history, but no one gossiped about it much around him, strangely. Maybe it had something to do with him being a Duke.

Besides, it seemed like the Earl genuinely felt sorry. So he said, "it's alright, it was a very long time ago. I thank you for your condolences though" instead. The Earl just nodded.

And then, "there's someone I'd like you to meet." Leo merely raised a brow.

"It's my daughter, Lady Clara Fethuerington." He finished with a proud smile. Leo murmured "of course" and allowed the Earl to lead the way.

This was what he had been dreading all evening. Another silly girl. In the last month, he'd met so many young women, most of whose names he couldn't recall, that the thought of meeting another one made him want to bolt. He groaned internally and cursed Crane again.

They were walking towards what appeared to be a mob of spinsters.

Huh.

And then he saw her. Lady Clara Fethuerington. She caught his eye immediately. But it wasn't because of her beauty or some absurd pull. It was because she was the only woman there who appeared to be under the age of fifty.

She wasn't ugly or anything, but her clothes definitely were. He could see that even though he wasn't a stickler for fashion. And she wore this terrible matronly cap. He couldn't even discern the colour of her hair. There wasn't anything wrong with her, but she wasn't the kind of woman he would generally take interest in.

On closer inspection though, he observed that she had deep green eyes and freckles on her nose, plump sensual lips. And even with that poor excuse for a dress on, it was obvious that she had a lovely, lush figure. As they reached her, she stood up. She barely even reached his shoulder and he added adorable to her list of attributes. She curtseyed as he bowed while her father made the introductions.

He thought he saw recognition flash in her eyes the moment her father introduced him, but it was gone before he could confirm it.

She wasn't talking much and he would've thought her dull if not for the fierce intelligence in her eyes. And she didn't seem to find him attractive. Strange.

He hoped she didn't expect him to dance with her. He never danced. Ever. Then the Earl was asking her if she would like to take a walk in the gardens. And then Leo was obligated to ask. She looked a little embarrassed but placed her hand on his proffered arm.

She seemed docile and the motherly sort. She would definitely make a good mother to Isabelle, he thought triumphantly. He thought he should say something, but then she spoke.

"You do realise that my father expects us to marry, do you not?"

"Yes, subtlety doesn't run in your family," he smiled. He was amused and impressed by her candidness. She took offence though.

"I'll appreciate it if you refrained from funning my father. He's just worried about me." Her eyes flashed. Leo felt terrible for judging her. But he had to say, he was finding her more and more attractive now that she was talking. Maybe he'd marry her after all.

"I'm sorry, that was not my intention. And to answer your question, I do understand what your father wants and I do not plan on disappointing him."

What had prompted him to say that, he berated himself.

She was looking at him with her mouth hanging open. She looked so sweet, her mouth forming an almost perfect o.

Wait, what was wrong with him? Sweet?

And then it was her turn to speak. She collected herself and finally asked, "Are you daft?"

He started laughing, he couldn't help it.
"No, I'm not. Look Lady Clara, I shall be honest with you."

"Oh please do," she muttered under breath.

He continued as if he hadn't heard her.
"I was recently given the guardianship of a little girl. She's my best friend's daughter, actually. And I think she needs a mother. I also think that you'll be perfect."

She was gaping again.

"Well, I don't want to delude you into thinking that I'm suddenly in love with you. I don't believe in that sort of thing. But I believe we shall be friends. With marital relations, of course. I offer you my title and my companionship, as tiresome as it can be. So, will you marry me?"

She seemed to be at a loss of words and he couldn't decide if that was good or bad.

"Say something," he prompted.

"As lovely as your offer is, I'm sorry, I must decline," she said, finding her tongue.

"You're just saying no because I didn't spout any romantic nonsense."

"No, I'm saying no because we barely even know each other and I don't think we'd suit," she raised a brow.

"I think we would."

With that, he pulled her to him and kissed her. He didn't know what possessed him to do it, but he did it anyway. And surprisingly, he was enjoying himself. At first, she wasn't moving. But then she was responding, slowly but surely. He could feel her pliant body soften beneath his. He could hear her erratic breathing. Well, it looked like he'd made the right choice despite it being an abrupt decision.

Clara was being kissed. She could hardly believe it. It was her first kiss and she had to say, it was worth the wait. The Duke seemed to be a little soft in the head, but it seemed like he knew what he was doing just now. It felt like she was drowning and floating at the same time. One moment she was trying to talk some sense into his head and the next, she'd completely taken leave of hers.

His arms were around her waist and hers were around his neck. Clara thought she heard someone clear their throat in the background. She paid it no mind and neither did the Duke. And then there was some more of the throat clearing, though it sounded like someone had a crow stuck in their throat this time.

Oh Lord.

She flew apart from the Duke. He seemed composed and at ease while she was having trouble breathing. She turned around to find a very shocked Lady Hudson, a very angry Rebecca, her extremely pleased mother, a smirking Amelia and several other people of the ton. She had just been compromised quite throughly.

Wonderful.

Then she heard the Duke speak.

"Lady Clara has just agreed to become my wife and made me the happiest of men. I'm sorry I got a little carried away." He had a perfectly artificial sheepish expression on his face. But everyone was convinced that he was saying the truth. Some people cheered, some ladies tittered behind their fans and all was forgiven and forgotten.

He was a Duke and men belonging to that particular species were always forgiven such indiscretions.

She was going to kill him though, Duke or no.