Chapter 6

Clara could hardly believe it, she was a duchess now. The wedding had been a blur, all she remember was the Duke's serious face  when he'd said,"I do", her parents's teary faces and Amy cheering and clapping at inappropriate times.

They were to leave to Montrose immediately and were to reach before nightfall.

They were alone together in the carriage. Clara didn't know how to behave around him anymore. He spoke then.

"I hope you're happy, Clara."

She was surprised by his usage of her given name, but she let it go. It felt so normal.

"Happy to be married to a man I hardly know? Of course, your grace."

"Don't be this way. And you should call me Leo, we're married now," he said, a frown marring his handsome face.

Clara didn't respond, she just looked out of the window. She was still upset about certain things. She wanted to be happy, she truly did. But there were so many complications.

All these years, she hadn't married because she'd been holding out for a love match. She knew it wasn't practical, but she was a romantic at heart. That was why she made sure all the characters of her books had happy endings.

She wasn't dim witted,  she knew she had to accept her fate. She desired him and like Amy had reminded her, she was being ridiculous. She was married to a Duke, a young and virile Duke at that. How many of those did they have anymore? What was she even complaining about?

Her new husband sighed.

"Look Clara, I know that I didn't court you as I should have and I didn't do anything to woo you. I compromised you. I told you that I was marrying you only for my ward. I kissed you without your permission more than once, etcetera. You have every reason to hate me."

"I don't hate you, Duke."

"Well, you don't seem very fond of me either. And you should know, I didn't just marry you for Isabelle. I married you for a more selfish reason. I was drawn to you from the time we started that walk in Lady Brentworth's gardens. I just couldn't admit it, to myself or to you. I've led a very solitary life, Clara. I'm not used to thinking about the other people involved when I plan something. Now that I have you and Isabelle, I'm going to change that. I want you to give me a chance to prove it to you. I'll show you that I'm more than the depraved, selfish man you take me to be."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" She folded her arms over her chest, an eyebrow going up.

"I don't really know. But I think it can start with tonight. I won't touch you tonight, Clara. I won't touch you until you ask me to," he choked out.

Clara was speechless. She hadn't expected this. She couldn't determine if she was relieved or distressed.

She just nodded.

"So, you must be very tired," he said, a poor attempt at changing the topic.

"Yes, it has been an eventful week," she smiled weakly.

"Come here," he called her to sit next to him.

When she hesitated, he said "don't worry, I don't bite. You can sleep in my arms, it's completely platonic," he grinned.

She stared at him, but scooted over closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and she was asleep in no time.

Leonard couldn't believe how perfectly content he felt at that moment. Clara was sleeping next to him. He'd put his arm around her and her head was in the crook between his shoulder and head. It felt so domestic. His brain kept giving him warnings that he was not supposed to be feeling such things. But he shut off his brain and just breathed in his wife's lemony scent. How could anybody be so bloody perfect?

Later.

They had stopped at an inn to have some tea and to relieve themselves. After they resumed their journey, they were in good spirits. They were well rested and well fed. Montrose was only a few hours away. So they spent it trying to get to know each other.

Leo asked Clara about her novels. She told him about her work and her latest novel. Leo was amused by its title and laughed outright. Clara gave him a cheeky grin. Then she asked him about his passion for medicine.

Leo immediately closed up. He barely answered her questions and she could feel the shift in his mood. She decided to let it go. For now. Once she was settled in Montrose, she'd learn everything about her husband.

Leo decide that he had to distract Clara. He wasn't ready to talk about his life yet. That would lead to questions about his sordid childhood. And he was a very private person. In fact, Clara was the only person other than Crane he'd opened up to.

He didn't want to start their marriage with secrets, but some doors were better left closed.

"Do you know what the muscles around those delectable lips of yours are called?" He asked suddenly.

He traced her soft lips. She started breathing hard. She was so responsive and alive, it astounded him. He was the one getting distracted now. Then she slowly shook her head, no. He momentarily forgot what he'd asked. Then he collected himself a little."It's the Orbicularis oris", he said huskily.

"Orbicularis oris" she whispered, testing the words on her tongue. And then, "will you teach me more about the human body? Maybe I can even help you with your patients in time." She suggested.

Leonard thought about how distracting it would be to have her around when he's working and shook his head. Her face fell. "I would love to teach you, my love. But I don't think you should join me with my patients."

"But why?"

"Because when I get a whiff of your scent, I lose my mind. I need my wits around me when I'm treating my patients." He growled.

Clara just blushed.

He suddenly parted the blinds and said that they were almost there. Clara smoothed her hair and her dress. She was beyond nervous. Would the servants accept her as their mistress? Would Isabelle like her? Leo saw the apprehension on her face and immediately reassured her.

"Everything will be just fine."

That was all she needed. She felt like she could conquer the world with him by her side.