Chapter 15

Three days later.

Clara was upset to say the least. But she'd decided to put all the unpleasant events behind her and try to be happy.

Or at least pretend to be happy.

It had been three days since the Duke had visited. Well, he'd visited everyday since, but she had refused to see him. But she'd let him spend time with Isabelle.

She'd never been so confused in her entire life.

She was currently getting ready for tonight's ball. Amy had come home and was all over her, much to Clara's amusement.

"Oh you just have to look like a princess tonight," she was gushing as she selected a particularly daring gown for her.

"Um Amy, I don't think that gown's going to make me look anything like a princess."

"Rubbish," she dismissed her with a flick of her wrists.

Clara sighed. There was no arguing with her friend when she was determined about something. Besides, she thought she should try something different for a change.

Once Clara was ready, Amelia finally let her look at herself in the mirror.

Clara gasped, she couldn't believe it.

The deep green colour of the gown matched her eyes and the low cut displayed her creamy shoulders.

She wore a single diamond pendent that rested between the valleys of her bosom.

She wore beautiful silk gloves that made her feel wicked.

What surprised her most was her face.

Amy had lined her eyes with kohl and rubbed rouge on her cheeks and lips. Her hair had been piled up in some seductive fashion.

Gone was the face of an innocent English rose. In her place stood a woman who knew about worldly pleasures, a woman who was familiar with the dark side. A woman who knew what she wanted and took it ruthlessly.

In short, she looked nothing like herself. She looked like the kind of woman she wanted to be. Except the wicked part, of course.

Amy stood there smirking.

Isabelle, who had been playing with her doll was gaping at her.

"What do you think, princess?" Amy asked her, beyond satisfied with her handiwork.

Amy and Isabelle had become fast friends.

"Clawa is lovely," she blinked.

Clara laughed and picked her up, "not as lovely as you, princess," and gave a big wet kiss on her cheek.

"Ewwww," Isabelle struggled to get out of her embrace.

Clara and Amelia just laughed, amused by her antics.

By the time they reached the ball, Clara was a bundle of nerves. She'd forgotten how unpleasant these balls usually were.

She looked to Amelia who was too busy trying to adjust her corset and failing.

Amelia had never bothered about her appearance. Ever. And still managed to look exceedingly lovely. But she looked lovelier than usual. While Amy's gown wasn't as bright as hers, the cut was equally naughty.