Chapter 14

Leo arrived with Isabelle in London a week after Clara had left.

After it had felt like his heart had been ripped out of his chest.

He knew that Clara's hurt would've been a lot more than his and the notion of causing her such agony made him feel like a first rate ass.

He had tried his best to concoct a plan. A week later, he realised that he did not have the talent for such things. But he'd thought that the least he could do was to bring Isabelle with him.

The first thing he did was to drop Isabelle at the Fethuerington townhouse because she was more than eager to see Clara. He knew his wife would not want to see his sorry face then. But he couldn't deprive Isabelle the pleasure of meeting Clara.

He was currently squatting like a toad trying to hide behind a bush like a thief waiting for Isabelle to go inside the house.

The door opened and he saw Isabelle speak. And then, it seemed like Clara came out running and knelt on the door step clutching Isabelle to her bosom as if her life depended on it. His little girl hugged her back and he felt tears prickling at the corner of his eyes.

He was the reason they'd been separated even if it was for a week.

Once Isabelle was inside, Leo decided to take a walk to his town house, it wasn't very far anyway and it would give him some time to think. Looking at Clara again had made him realise how very important this was.

He couldn't mess up. Not this time.

He wanted his wife back in his life and he'd do everything he could to win her back.

Clara was so relieved when she finally held Isabelle close to her.

Her baby.

She knew her husband wasn't far.

It had taken him a week to get here?

She had no intention of going back or forgiving him.

She didn't know how long she had with Isabelle, but she decided not to think about anything then and just enjoy her daughter's presence.

Clara's parents were delighted to meet Isabelle and she was basking in their attention. She also fell in love with Adonis.

"He's so chubby," she said, pulling on his jowls while he just sat there panting, too uninterested to protest.

"You do remember about tonight's ball, do you not Clara?" her mother asked.

"Yes mother, but I'm going to stay at home with Isabelle today."

Her mother huffed, clearly disapproving of Clara's attachment to Isabelle.

"But this is your first ball since you got married, it's important. What will the Duke think when he hears of this?" she insisted.

Her parents thought that the Duke had sent Clara to London so she could enjoy the season a bit since she'd missed most of it due to their speedy marriage.

"I do not wish to argue, mother. Besides, it's just tonight. I shall attend the next ball, surely."

"You're a duchess now, why would you listen to me?" her mother stormed out.