Georgia Brightly

A/N: I found this amazing website called "Fighter's Block" and decided to try it out. I went in without a single idea of what I would write, but this is what happened. If any of you are writers, this is an amazing game where you write to fight a monster, and when you get to your goal of words, the monster is slain, but if you don't write consistently, your hero loses health. Just go and let out a short story inside you!

-*-

 I was always bored with my life, until she came along and showed me how to live. I hadn't truly been living before. When Georgia Brightly walked in my door with a cake and a batch of cookies fresh out of the oven, with that heavenly smile on her face with a hint of ironic evil behind those shaded eyes, I knew I was done for.

All I did before I met Georgia was sit around, reading, playing games, and wasting my life away. I fear that if I had never met her, I would forever be remembered as a couch potato, or even worse, not remembered at all. But Georgia was there, so I will never know what the outcome would be if she weren't there. Perhaps I would simply waste away into nothing, with nobody watching and waiting for me on either side of life.

I had lived on my own for a decade, in an apartment complex the size of a skyscraper. Georgia had just moved in next door. I knew automatically that she was destined for greatness. I could see it in those twinkling eyes, in that sly grin, and in the bounce of those hyper toes.

Perhaps I would be able to see her unfold, like a flower in the night that glows with brilliance. I know for a fact that it will be soon, rather than later.

Those cookies were awful. The cake was great though, but I later found out that Georgia had baked the cookies whilst her mother had sent along the cake. She was lonely, and so she wanted to meet the other people on her floor. And that would be me, I suppose. I've lived on this floor on my own for as long as I've lived here, and no one has even looked at the flat across from me. But Georgia moved in unannounced and then flounced into my own flat as if we were old friends. With that infectious smile, I could tell that soon the reality would be that she was a great friend of mine.

I don't live like her, but I know that she will not be dragged down by anything, and so I will cling to her and she will raise me up and make a better person of me.

We spoke for hours that first day, and I was nearly late to my night job because of it. But I felt no remorse as I rushed to the store I would be guarding. She was magnificent. A true example of humanity's weaknesses and greatest strengths, all combined into one perfect girl.

I can't say much now, but I know that this girl will be exquisite in all ways. She may not have graduated at the top of her class in high school. and she may not be the greatest of fashion consultants, but she'll be my best friend, I just know it.

For a wallflower like me, I know that an extrovert like her will be the perfect dose of daily excitement that I need. She'll push me to do new things and she'll keep me away from my comfort zone that makes my life so boorish and predictable. I'm excited about the life we will have, my floor mate and I.

All throughout work that night, I can hardly focus. The lights flicker and I barely flinch as the darkness overcomes me permanently seconds later.

I feel a grip on my neck, and the lights turn back on.

And who do I see there but Georgia herself, the one that had captivated my mind from the get go. Her eyes widen in recognization at my face, and she squeezes harder, cutting the flow of oxygen through my body. She reaches into a coat pocket, cursing.

The tool she brings out is long and sharp, and she inserts into my neck without difficulty, pushing liquid into my veins.

"See you tomorrow then, I suppose." She says, as my eyes fade int darkness. The last things I see are the heels of her tall dark boots clicking away, toward the safe.

The next day, I wake up discombobulated. I shake it off. I get up and grab my coffee and clothes, and prepare myself for a day of lounging around until night, when I will head to my night job.

A knock on the door sounds, and I move to open it. There's a girl at my door, grinning a half smirk. Her cheeks sport matching dimples, her eyes flash with secrets and bright colors, and her leg bounces with bright energy.

"And you'll be Helena, correct? I'm Georgia Brightly. I just moved in next door."

I shake her hand and grin, suddenly noticing the cookies and cake sitting beside her on the ground. The cookies are burnt, but the cake looks wonderful.

"Shall we talk for a while?" She grins at me, a knowing smile. It's as if she knows exactly who I am, without my saying a word at all beforehand.

For some reason, that woman seemed to know everything about me automatically.

I was always bored with my life, until she came along and showed me how to live. I hadn't truly been living before. When Georgia Brightly walked in my door with a cake and a batch of cookies fresh out of the oven, with that heavenly smile on her face with a hint of ironic evil behind those shaded eyes, I knew I was done for.

Those cookies were awful. But I found myself not focusing on their sour taste and rock hard structure but instead on the magnificence of Georgia Brightly, who shined brighter than anything I had ever seen before.

I could tell that we would soon be wonderful friends.

For a wallflower like me, I know that an extrovert like her will be the perfect dose of daily excitement that I need. She'll push me to do new things ad she'll keep me away from my comfort zone that makes my life so boorish and predictable. I'm excited about the life we will have, my floor mate and I.