Chapter 18

Dallas

I felt the anger begin to burn until Claire grabbed my hand. I looked at the detective, "Can you give my head of security any info on this guy. I would like to keep my family safe." He nodded, "I am not supposed to, but we have been after him for years and he keeps slipping through our fingers. He has someone on his payroll, I guarantee it. I wish I knew who, but I will find out and nail them all." 

He looked at me and I saw the anger in his eyes, "This man is the very definition of the word evil, Mr. Richardson. I don't want to frighten you, Ms. Motts, but he is involved in all kinds of deplorable things, human trafficking, drugs, prostitutions, money laundering, slave trade, he has a thing for little girls and I have seen a picture of your daughter, she is exactly his type. I am not saying this to scare you, I am telling you this so that you can keep her safe.I wouldn't trust many people in the department to help you. Either they are involved at some level or too afraid to cross him. This includes the Prosecuting Attorney's office. Please, take care of your family." 

I looked at Claire and saw the pure anger and determination in her eyes, "Please, call me Claire, Detective. Trust me, I will do anything to keep my daughter safe." He nodded and his eyes met mine before he reached into a briefcase he was carrying and pulled out a folder. "Your security seems to be above par, so I am giving you this, it is a copy of everything we have on this man, Esteban Rodriguez. He is a slimy son of a bitch. In order for us to do anything about him, we need a ton of indisputable evidence." I grinned, "My head of security can take a look. We will be vigilant about watching our people." He nodded, "Good, ok. I am sorry about you ex-husband, Claire, and good luck. Here is my card. Should you need anything or have any info, call me directly, trust no one else." 

Claire narrowed her eyes, looking just like Sophia, "How do we know that we can trust you, Detective?" He smiled sadly and took another file from his bag and handed it to her. "Read that after I leave, then you will know the truth." With that, he left. Claire looked at me, "He's dead. I can't believe it. He was an absolute asshole, but he was Sophia's father and at one point, a good man. I feel bad that I am not sadder. I don't know how to tell Sophia." I pulled her onto my lap, tossing the file in my hand onto the desk and cradled her in my arms. "Love, after everything he has put you and Soph through the last month, it's ok not to be too upset that he is gone. It doesn't make you a bad person, you will grieve, but not in the same way as if you lost someone you loved." 

She nodded against my chest and opened the file in her hands. She scanned the pages and gasped. "That evil bastard took his wife and children from him. He arrested him for the first time, five years ago and when he wouldn't make the evidence disappear, he brutally murdered his wife and three children. They were all beaten, raped, tortured, then murdered. Each step, they took pictures, they videotaped the whole thing and gave it to him. This man is a monster, Dallas and now he may be after Sophia and me? I will rip him apart if he comes after our little girl." Her fierce eyes met mine and I nodded.

"Don't worry, love, he comes here and he won't leave alive." I kissed her and she wrapped her arms around my neck, deepening the kiss. I pulled back and pecked her lips, "No time for snuggles, as much as I would love to take you on my desk, Dane is on his way up to talk to me." She pouted but then narrowed her eyes at me, "I am to be kept in the loop, Dallas, no secrets, no lies, no leaving anything out. I am a big girl and can handle it. Plus, I am the Luna, it's just as much my job to keep the pack safe." 

I grinned, "I agree, as much I want to shelter you, I can't. You are too strong to be kept in the dark. I will make sure you know everything that I know, I swear it." She nodded and kissed me softly. She pulled back as Dane knocked and entered the office. "Alpha, Luna." He nodded. "Have a seat, Dane. We have a new security issue." I began and we told him everything we knew. He rubbed his face and sighed, "OK, we will up patrols and training. Claire, I think it's a good idea for you to join the training. I want you to be able to defend yourself if you need it. I know that you are never alone, but I would feel better knowing that if someone got past everything, you could tear them apart." 

She smiled, "Thank you, Dane. I will, I want to be able to help defend my pack and myself. I don't want to be the helpless human." I snorted and Dane laughed, "Sweetheart, you are far from helpless." Dane nodded, "I have a feeling after I am done with you, you will be able to beat the Alpha's ass." She looked at me with mischief in her eyes, "That would be wonderful." I groaned causing Dane to laugh harder. "Best Luna Ever." He said between laughs. 

In the days that followed, we trained hard, upped patrols, studied Rodriguez until we knew him better than our own mother. Claire was putting everything she had into her training and she was getting good. Strong, fast, confident, and sure of herself. I beamed with pride as she sparred with Dane and he landed on his ass with her hand at his throat. He thrust his neck to her, "Great job, Claire. You are one kick ass Luna."