Chapter One: Nina

It's the first day of senior year, and Nina was busy re-brushing her long brown hair, examining herself in the mirror.
"Mother!" she shouted, her voice having only to carry a couple doors down from her room to the kitchen.
"What?" her mother asked, hardly raising her voice in the small one story home.
"I can't find my red kefta!"
"Wear the blue one your father sent you!" Nina groaned at her reflection in the mirror. Why must she wear anything her father sent? He had no taste, and lime green sequins were splashed across the kefta, which was to big already.
"Dad bought an extra large. I'm a freaking medium Mother! MEDIUM!" shouted Nina, putting her brush down on her white marble counter and picking up mascara.
"Don't use that word Nina! And no you aren't, you're a large," her mother sighed, appearing the doorway. Nina rolled her eyes, applying the last of the brown liquid to her already volumous and color-filled lashes.
"Whatever, I'm not wearing it."
"So you'll go to school naked?"
"Would you let me?" Nina asked, dabbing pale brown eyeshadow on.
"No, and you wouldn't be naked, you'd be in your undergarments. Also, that Fjerdan would put his hands all over you."
"Mom!" Nina moaned, her cheeks coloring slightly. Her mother laughed and said,
"Your kefta is hanging up in the laundry room, go put it on. But we're going shopping later today." Nina thanked her mother, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before running out of her room, through the living room, turning down a hall, and rushing into the laundry room. She pulled on her kefta over her undergarments after pulling off her blue robe. She rushed back to her room, noticing her mother was back in the kitchen, and hung up her robe on the hook on her door. Her phone buzzed and Nina picked it up, fixing her hair and swiping on shining lipgloss while checking the screen. It was from Matthias. She opened her phone and went into her messaging app, clicking on their chat.

Matthias:
Are you dressed?

Maybe? Why?

I just saw you run through the house in your robe, if you don't hurry your butt out here we'll be late for school

We have forty five minutes!

Kaz wants me to pick him up.

Ugh. Be out in ten.

Haven't had breakfast?

No, and I'm starving. Mom made me waffles!

How will you ever loose those ten pounds you've been complaining about if you keep eating waffles?

See you outside Matthias

Love you too Pumpkin!

Gods, how could he even talk about pumpkin? Nina wondered, he knew she hated pumpkin fiercely. She rolled her green eyes and exited out of the app, then switched off her phone, taking a moment to look at her lock screen. It was her and Matthias smiling at the camera, pie all over their faces from an eating contest Nina had made him do with her. She smiled, then pulled on her red silk slippers and walked into the kitchen. The kitchen was large, with enough room for an island six feet long and three feet wide, eight burner stovetop, and two ovens. Her mom had already set out a plate of waffles, drenched in warm, slick syrup and halfway melted butter. Nina sat down on the island, fork poised over the food, when she saw a letter on the table.

"What's this Mom?" Her mother looked over at the letter, brown eyes blank. She had her father's green eyes, and her mother's slightly tanned skin and wavy brown hair.

"It's from your father." Nina put her fork down, grabbing her backpack off the floor and tucking the letter into the leather knapsack.

"I'll read it later." Then she ate about half her waffles before her phone started pinging madly and a horn was honking outside.

"Sorry Mom, Matt will barge in here himself and drag me out if I don't get going now." Her mom smiled.

"Bye Nina." She half-hugged her daughter over the island, then went back to writing a grocery list. Nina walked out of the house, only to be greeted by a cold gust of wind. Darn it! It was warm yesterday! Nina knew that in Ketterdam the temperature changed, but she had not been expecting a cold day. She walked down the three brick stairs before her house, unlocked then relocked the gate, and finally was within a few feet of the car. Matthias was in the driver's seat of his black pick up truck, glaring at her. She slipped into the passenger seat, barely closing the door before he gunned down the road, leaving the small brick house behind. Nina yelped, grabbing his strong, pale arm.

"Holy crap Matthias! What if the freaking door was open!" she cried as they came upon a stop sign.

"It wasn't," he said calmly, casting her a side glance.

"But what if it was?"

"It wasn't though," he said flatly, taking a hand off the wheel to twine their fingers together. Then he sped off again, the engine making noises Nina doubted it should make. He drove smoothly though, and in what normally would be a fifteen minute drive to Kaz's house was a eight minute drive. Kaz was sitting on his porch, looking at his watch. His dark eyes met hers and then slid back to his watch. He stood up from the glider he was sitting on, stark white against his dark clothes. Nina got out of the car, popped the black leather seat, and climbed into the back, letting Kaz get in the front because it would be easier on his leg. Kaz's cane rapped against the ground as he made his way to the car, his limp seemed to be troubling him more today.

"Hey Kaz," grunted Matthias, and Nina poked her head around the seat, she'd pulled it back up after Kaz sat down.

"Morning Kaz," she chirped. Kaz looked at them quietly, climbing into the car, cursing slightly as his leg hit the side of the car. He drew in a sharp breath, putting his cane on the dash as he slammed the door closed. Matthias looked at him expectantly, and Nina leaned forwards between them.

"He's not going to put on a seatbelt Matthias." Matthias turned to look at her, blue eyes concerned. Kaz just pulled on his black leather gloves a little and said in his raspy voice,

"If you don't start the car, we'll be late for school. I can only imagine what your mother would say if–" Kaz never got to finish his sentence, Matthias was already slamming on the gas, and Nina was jolted backwards, smacking her head against the seats. Nina grumbled and after about ten minutes they were to school. Matthias pulled into the parking lot, parking the car then jumping out and helping Nina out on his side. Nina slid out, holding his hand even though she really didn't have to. She looked up at him and smiled. Kaz shut his door and they all walked into school, Nina's kefta slightly dragging on the ground, she'd ask her mother to fix it later. They walked into the high school, and then Matthias had to part form her to go to his locker, and Nina stepped up just in time to peck his cheek before the sea of kids pulled him down the white stone hall. Kaz had slipped away.

"No public displays of affection Ms. Zenik," teased a voice. Nina turned around, seeing Jesper standing behind her.

"Nice to see you too," she said, smiling at him before turning and turning the dial on her locker, he went to his to do the same. It unlocked and Nina shoved everything she didn't need in it, only grabbing a notebook, a pencil, and her history textbook before locking the small compartment again. She jumped when she saw Kaz leaning on the lockers beside hers.

"What is it? I thought your locker was on the other hall." Kaz shrugged.

"Where's Inej?" Nina forced down her smile, she had been watching the two dance around, flirt in their odd way, but still they wouldn't become a couple. Nina said,

"She's taking an A.P. class in language arts with Ms. Hendriks." Kaz nodded, but he looked far away.

"Gotta go, see you at lunch." Nina headed off, glancing behind her to look at Kaz, but he was already gone. What was he up too?

Hello! This is my first fanfic EVER. Sorry if it's horrible, I love them all just as much as you do! It's bad, I know, but I tried. Please leave comments and pardon any spelling errors. Any suggestions just tell me! Thanks!

–MOJ