Chapter Five: Matthias

Matthias pulled into Jesper's drive way, slowing down on the gravel drive. Nina sat beside him, and Jesper was behind him. They came to a fork in the road and Jesper leaned forwards.

"Go left!" he announced, pointing, leaning between the couple. Matthias turned the wheel and soon he was parked in front of Jesper's place. Nina got out, pulling up the seat so Jesper could jump out. Nina pulled the seat back and hopped back in the car.

"Thanks Matthias!" he called out as he ran up the stairs to the house, disappearing inside. Nina closed the door to the car and said,

"Now back to the jolly ol' home." Matthias nodded, and they drove back down the drive silently. Matthias finally spoke.

"How was your day?"

"Good. Yours?" Nina asked, but it sounded clipped. Matthias' brows pulled together, she sounded mad, but he didn't know why.

"Is something wrong Nina?" he asked. She looked up at him, a slight frown on her face.

"I feel that something is off. Inej didn't join us, she said she was."

"Her and Kaz went somewhere," Matthias responded.

"Without me!" shrieked Nina.

"I think Kaz wanted it to just be the two of them."

"But–But–" Nina sputtered. Matthias raised a brow at her as he saw, from the corner of his vision, Nina whip out her phone and pound on the screen with her thumbs furiously. Matthias chuckled lightly and looked down on her.

"Look at the road," she snapped. Matthias' eyes flitted back up to the road. It took twenty minutes to get back, the whole time Nina was murmuring to herself and texting Inej, trying to call her three times. They finally pulled up to the front of the Zenik house, and Nina tucked her phone into a pocket in her kefta. Matthias got out of the car and closed his door, and Nina hopped out. Matthias walked her up to the front door.  They stood there for a moment, then Matthias leaned down and kissed the tip of her nose.  She scowled and grabbed his face in her hands.
"Come here."  She pulled his mouth down to hers and kissed him.  One of Matthias' hands went to the back of her neck, the other on the small of her back.  Matthias pulled her closer, kissing her harder.  He pulled away for a breath and leaned his forehead against hers.  Suddenly the door swung open.

"What the hell is going on here?" roared a voice.  Matthias pulled away from Nina, but instantly missed the warmth of her body.  Nina looked pale beneath her tan, but said,

"Everything's fine.  Go back inside."  The man in the doorway grabbed her arm and pulled her inside.

"I will not have you kissing a Fjerdan," the man growled as he slammed the door.  Matthias sighed, dropping his head and walking slowly back to the car.  He jumped in and drove home.  He took the long way, and once he neared Inej's home a sleek black car came hurtling down the road, almost hitting him.  Matthias yelled and honked his horn.  He glared at the driver, and as the end of the car, which was more like a limousine, he could have sworn he saw a hand pounding on the window.  But he shook his head, it was dusk, and the light could be playing tricks on him.  He kept driving, soon passing the Ghafa's house, and then after fifteen minutes he was home.  He parked in the garage and went inside.  His mother and father, he could hear, were sitting at the supper table, talking.  Matthias kicked off his shoes in the mud room and put down his backpack before going into the light grey painted room.

"Great Djel boy, where have you been.  School ended three hours ago!"  His mother slapped his father's arm.

"Don't take Djel's name in vain Brock."  

"Sorry Anita," his father mumbled.

"Sorry Da, Jesper and Nina wanted to go get coffee and then we had to go back to the school because Wylan's father forgot to pick him up, and so I had to drop off all of them, and Wylan lives on the other side of town," explained Matthias.

"Well, you're just in time for supper, we just sat down."  Matthias took his place at the table and they all joined hands to pray.

"Great Djel, please be with us and guide us, thank you for my family and friends, and the food before us.  Thank you for each day," prayed his father.  Matthias opened his eyes and his mother started serving them food.

"How was your day, Matt?" his father asked.

"Good.  I'm in a few of the same classes as Nina and Inej, also the new kid Wylan–"

"Is that the stupid merch's son?  What's his name?  Joy Van Eck?  Joel Van Eck?" his mother cut in.

"Jan, Ma.  Jan Van Eck.  His son is quite nice though," Matthias corrected.  His mother nodded.

"Well, the man isn't nice, and he thinks himself quite smart, but just today when he came to see Councilman Hoede, and as his secretary I greeted him and told him the appointment was tomorrow.  He insisted it wasn't, but when we looked at the letter, it is tomorrow.  he didn't even have his work together anyway!"  His father smiled slightly at his mother's story.

"I had a rough day.  Tipgre had to be put down today."  Matthias' mother patted his father's shoulder, it was a pup that had been born disfigured, and the other wolves all attacked him, almost killing him themselves.

"Sorry Da, that stinks."  Matthias told them about his day, eating the meat and potatoes his mother had prepared.

"No homework tonight, son?" his mother asked.

"Did it all in free period Ma."  She patted his cheek as she stood to clear the table.

"That's my boy."  Matthias excused himself and went up to his room.  He sat on his bed, which was a king so it could hold his large frame, and took out his phone, texting Nina.

Nina:

Are you in trouble?

...No?

Nina!  I'm sorry, how much trouble are you in?  I feel bad.

Haha.  I'm not in too much trouble.  Apparently the letter my mom gave me this morning was from my dad, telling me he was coming over.  My mom's traveling so she asked him to come watch me.  Ugh, I hate him.

Why don't you come stay with us?

Mattie, your Fjerdans 

Matthias bristled, what was that supposed to mean?  They'd met on many occasions and his parents accepted that Nina and her mother were Grisha.  

"Ma!  Could Nina stay over for a week or so?  Her mother has a job a bit away and will be away for a week I think!  Is that okay?" he yelled down.  

"Sure darling!"  He went back to typing.

Nina.  I asked my parents, they said it was fine.  Come on, I'll pick you up tomorrow.

Fine.  But if I'm dead tomorrow, it's because my dad gave me a heart attack with the new clothes he's brought me.

Haha, very funny.  Night Nina.

Night!  *blows kisses out window to you*  

Matthias smiled and closed out of the app.  He changed out of his jeans and green shirt into pajama pants.  Turning out the lights he crawled into bed, drifting off into a deep sleep.

Hey guys!  Thanks for reading!  All comments are appreciated!  Please do more though, I like to now what you all think.  Sorry if it isn't amazing, I'm not very good at Matthias.  Thanks for reading and please pardon any mistakes.  BUT PLEASE COMMENT! Sorry, that was a bit harsh.  I'm bored and want to see what you guys think and they make me feel good...

Peace,

–MOJ