Chapter Twelve: Kaz

Kaz slipped into the driver's seat of his car, and hit his fist against the wheel.  He had no plan, nothing, all he could think about was Inej.  How silky her hair was, the way she seemed to know what was wrong always, her beautiful eyes, her musical laughter, how soft her lips had been when he'd kissed her, her–  He stopped himself, banging his head on the steering wheel, trying to beat the silly thoughts out of his head.  She would never love him now that he'd left her.  The picture he'd been sent this morning... That was it!  He raised his head and a devilish grin spread across his face.  He pulled out of Wylan's driveway and started driving.  Matthias followed him.  As Kaz drove a plan formed in his head.  He drove into his driveway after twenty or so minutes, the truck behind him.  Everyone filed into his house.  Kaz led them to the living room, and then sat down on the floor, and motioning for Wylan to set the files down on the table in the center of the room.  Wylan carefully set them down, and in a moment Kaz was on them, his gloved fingers skimming for all the first and last names that started with a W.  He pulled all of those files out and handed some to each person.

"If you find someone matching my description or what we know, tell me," he ordered, and then complete silence fell over the house.  Kaz searched through all his files diligently, and when his phone rang he jumped.  Everyone looked up.  Kaz took his phone out of his pocket and slid to answer.

"Kaz Brekker."

"Ah!  Just the man I was wanting to talk too!" chimed a voice.

"You called me.  No shit you wanted to talk to me," pointed out the seventeen year old.  A voice chuckled on the other end.

"No need to use strong language, I know you're stressed to get back the young lady.  Well, I have a new bargain.  You can talk to the girl for one minute, and give me one hundred dollars.  Two minutes, two hundred; get where I'm going with this?"  Nina raised her brows.

"What is it?" she hissed, seeing his eyes widen.

"Deal.  One hundred for a minute.  When can I give it to you?"

"Tonight, the woods behind your house, nine eighteen, sharp.  Got that, Brekker?"  

"Got it."  His friends looked at him and he quickly turned the phone on speaker.

"Kaz?" whispered a feeble voice.

"Inej!" he cried, motioning all his friends to be quiet.

"Where are you?  What does W look like?  Are you okay?"  She quickly described W.

"I don't know where I am!  I think I'm in a warehouse downtown.  Kaz, I'm scared," she said in a hushed tone.  His heart panged and rage built up in him.

"It's going to be fine, I'm coming."

"He's hurting me he–"

"Time's up!" he heard a voice chime in the background.

"No!" shrieked Inej.

"Kaz, he has spies everywhere, stay safe.  I l–" The sound her screaming and a gun shot cut her off.

"See you tonight.  Toodles," giggled W, and then the line beeped, he'd hung up.  Kaz stared at his phone.  His gaze was blank, his face slack, scaring all his friends.

"Kaz?" Matthias approached him, putting a hand on his shoulder.  He couldn't imagine how he felt, if Nina was down there... Suddenly Kaz snapped his head up and said calmly,

"I'm fine."  Matthias sat back down.

"I think I found him," Wylan murmured.  Kaz leaned over and ripped the file from his hands.

"Walter Berge, thirty two, been too jail four times–"

"For what?" broke in Jesper.

"Child abuse, murder, drug dealing, and more murder.  Uh.." Kaz scanned the page.

"He has one son, Zack, and a wife, Harlie Jade Berge," he read.  He looked up and Jesper's face lit up as he realized something.

"Zack Berge?  Isn't that the kid that asked you about Inej?"  Kaz's friends watched as his face got even colder.  He read their address and stood.

"You all, busy yourselves, I have important business to attend too."  They all scrambled up.

"Kaz, she's not just your friend, you need to let us help."  Kaz looked at them.  If only they understood, he didn't want them to get hurt.

"Fine.  Jesper, do you have your guns?"

"Always," the trigger-happy boy responded, he kept them safely tucked in his backpack.

"Matthias, you can help with brute strength, and Nina, your Grisha power, and Wylan..."  Wylan looked at him hopefully.

"You can drive the getaway car."

Hello fair readers!  How are you all doing today?  I'm going to try to update again later tonight, I hope you liked this chapter, I know it isn't too long, but I thought this would be a good place to stop.  Sorry if it isn't amazing, I always feel like I'm letting you down.  Anyway, please pardon any mistakes, and please, please, comment!

–MOJ

P.S.  I just want to thank @wildwolf65 for always commenting, it means a lot.  Thanks Wild!